Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Media Edition No Longer Boots Normally

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pjserina

pjserina

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hello folks, I'll try to provide as much information as I can.
My subscription to ZoneAlarm ran out, so after som searching I purchased BitDefender total Security 2008. I uninstalled Adaware, Spybot, AND Windows Defender to be sure the install would work correctly. Though BD did install, when i attempted to reboot, the system freezes completely after the XP Welcome screen on a blank screen. I have been over the issue with BD for numerous hours and they are of no help. I have restored to previous dates, via entering through Safe mode and have deleted the aformentioned programs via both their own uninstall programs as well as through Add/Remove programs. I am stuck and this is a computer I use to work with my students. I am frantically trying to get this system back up and running since this is the last week of school for my students! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have finally just restored to a previous date and after freezing once, I have been able to normally boot up the system without ANY of the security suites or programs...... Is this just bitdefender being that bad?

Edited by pjserina, 04 June 2008 - 02:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:20 PM

Is this just bitdefender being that bad?

It may be because of bitdefender, but I doubt it though. When you reboot it freezes, so do you get any kind of error codes or messages saying anything or just the screen freezing. I would first install it in Safe mode, did you download it or did you buy it as a CD? If you download it, then install it on your desktop. Don't reboot just when you finish the installation. Just leave it out for a while, and after a day or so(even like 1-2 hours would do) reboot your computer maually and see if that works...

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 pjserina

pjserina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

Alrighty, let's see. I have installed it both from a disc as well as from the download that BitDefender made me DL. At times I was unable to install or uninstall anything when in safe mode with the error message that the administrator did not allow installs (since i AM the admin and I never did such a thing.......OK, I finally restored to Sunday, and after one initial freeze, I was able to get it to load normally after BitDefender was completely deleted using their own utility. This is fine and good except I don't have a AV running now. The freezing is a complete freeze. There are no error messages, just a blank screen following the XP Welcome screen. I have been back and forth many times with BD on the phone to no avail and the only time I can get the computer to load normally is when I fully uninstall it. Now let me be more specific on that. Like I said, it took one freeze, and then a reboot in order to get it to start normally. So, first I restored to Sunday, deleted BD, reboot...freeze. Manual shutdown. Turn power on, f10 to get to boot order, esc to leave screen, esc again to load safemode option screen and choose load normally, finally loads correctly.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

Well...just because you paid for it...doesn't mean that you are bound to use Bit Defender's suite as part of your system defenses. I paid for (and used) McAfee Security Suite (long ago and here), but I stopped using it when I determined it was more trouble than help.

Seems to me that it's time to try free, effective alternatives...at least long enough to form a base for comparison.

There are a ton of free, reliable firewalls out there...I use Sunbelt Kerio only because I like it. None is necessarily "better" than the others, it's a matter of user preference.

There are also a number of free, reliable antivirus programs available to any user. I currently have AVG Free 8.0 installed on one of my desktops, with Avira Free installed on the other. Again, none is....etc.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 June 2008 - 04:41 PM.

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hi,
Maybe BD has some promblems when you bought it/downloaded it.
I suggust uninstalling it because it is casuing you alot of trouble. Just try again later and see if it still has the same promblem if it does maybe try another anti-virus program...

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 pjserina

pjserina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

I am going to give it a try as extreme mention, by letting it "rest" for an hour or two after install.
I agree I do not have to use it, but the waste of 45 dollars or so is to me, an extreme annoyance. I want to be sure it IS Bitdefender and not something else on my machine. I have tried AVG free edition and I was severely disappointed with its quality and protection levels. My ZoneAlarm worked great but was tricky for my father in law to work effectively so I thought I would give BD a try. I perhaps should have just gone with Kaspersky as a tride and true AV, though still clunky securty suite. :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

My feeling on security suites (I have used 3 different ones during one of my experimental periods)...is that it's hard enough to get a single application to do a single job well (considering the wide variety of malware forms that appear every day)...that I see no point in believing that a security suite can outperform 2 or more programs manufactured/developed/promoted by differing entities.

I know that some would prefer to believe that there is such a thing as omnibus computer protection...but there isn't. There is no one program that is going to do the job against everything, every day.

As for your comment about paying for it...it's your system and your responsibility to decide what you install on it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users