Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nod32 Updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 samvimes

samvimes

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

I have just replaced my USB ADSL wan adapter modem with a modem router after it broke down. I am now unable to update my antivirus.
Windows security alerts tells me my antivirus is out of date. If I carry out a manual update now on Nod32 it claims to be up to date, I have checked on Nod32 website and it is about 18 updates short. When I turn on the computer a pop-up comes up saying that Nod32 cannot connect to server.
I am sure there is some simple thing to do to tell Nod32 to look at the ethernet cable rather than USB modem for it's internet but I don't know what that simple thing is. If you can help I would be most grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:05 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

When you changed equipment...did you setup your connection (via the Network Wizard) all over again?

That would seem to be necessary...or I suspect that XP would continue to look for the old connection.

The only other possible complicating factor I can think of might be your choice of firewall. If you are using XP's firewall, there should be no problem. If using a 3d-party firewall, then I suspect it would have to be set up for the new connection.

Louis

#3 samvimes

samvimes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:17 PM

Hamluis,

Thanks for responding, my firewall is the xp one. I did not setup the new connection at all I just hooked it all up and it connected to the internet straight away. Everything still works except the Nod32 updates and my connection seems to e a bit slower generally (used to be 7.7Mbps now more like 4-5Mbps)

Matt

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

Well...if I had just one issue with a particular program...I would think of cookies and corruption.

Cookies can get corrupted and malperform...so can program components.

I would try deleting any/all cookies relating to the Nod32 website and I would uninstall Nod32 and then reinstall the latest version...and promptly update it and use it :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 samvimes

samvimes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

Louis,

Once I had removed Nod32 I could not reinstall it so I have put on AVG free 8 for now. However, when I downloaded AVG it was very slow at about 10-20 Kbps. I think that maybe this is all down to my computer not talking to my router properly. It still comes up with trying to dial up everytime I do something like send an error report to Microsoft even though I am already connected automatically.

Matt

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

Did you get any instructions...with this device (modem/router)?

Did you follow them?

Who is the manufacturer, what is the model number of the apparatus?

Louis

#7 samvimes

samvimes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:37 AM

Louis,

I got no instructions with the router but last night I went onto the manufacturer's website (Thomson speedtouch ST510v6) and found a troubleshooting page. It was most helpful in telling me how to set up the device for windows xp.
START, CONTROL PANEL, ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS, ADD OR REMOVE WINDOWS COMPONENTS, NETWORKING SERVICES, DETAILS, UPnP USER INTERFACE, OK.
I wish these things came with instructions, but at least it came with all the required leads. Thank goodness for small mercies. That set up seems to have resolved the fault.
Thanks for helping, this site and the people on it are great.

Matt

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

Nice going, Matt...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users