Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Worth Upgrading Gpu?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 general grievous

general grievous

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:49 PM

hello buds, i was wondering if it is worth the money for an upgrade for my pc

current settings:

Intel p4 presscot soc775 3GHZ @ 3,2GHZ

2gb DDR400 kingstone

x1650GT 512mb AGP 8X

psu Antec True Power Trio 550w

sound blaster audigy

Currently getting from 11.500 to 12000 points in 3dmark03,
Question is: will i really feel my pc breathing new life with this new gpu? i no its obsolete but it will surely works for lan parties :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:08 PM

It looks like that thing is upgraded to where its probably better to just get a new PC instead of upgrade. I dunno, it just seems like sticking 200$ in that older system wouldn't be worth it..

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:08 PM

It's not a bad card, but your single core Pentium 4 will bottleneck it a lot. You need at least a nice AMD Athlon 64 or a nice dual core processor.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:23 AM

Overclock your current card and just bare with it unil you can upgrade your whole system
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:00 AM

Purchasing a new PC is suggested. Overclocking the current card is a good alternative in the interim.

3939.png

#6 general grievous

general grievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 04:52 PM

my current gpu has ddr3 memory... core at 600mhz; memory at 1400mhz(thats the max overclock for my gpu, i have tryed to push it further but when i push it even 5 mhz more it starts messing), and one more update, the system cpu is an hyper threading one and now running fully stable at 3,40GHZ at temperature of 30c (max of 35c when fully loaded) i dunno how good could HT be compared to a real dual core but i may think that it is not that bad (i dont know a lot of pcs so correct me if im wrong in anything) and an HT is better than a single cpu as far as i know buds. yaya i no this doesnt deserve money, but even if it bottlenecks the new card, may i feel any improvement?

ty a lot.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:13 AM

You'll definitely see an improvement, but it will be held back quite a bit. When I first built my new computer, I was short on cash so my friend let me use his Pentium 4 3.0ghz with HT. I also had an ATI X1900GT graphics card. My games ran pretty well, but I eventually bought a core 2 duo processor, and wow I couldn't believe the difference! In Call of Duty 4 I went from having everything set to low-medium, to everything set to medium-high and I was averaging a few more FPS too. I remember also, Bioshock was unplayable at even low settings. When I got my Core 2 Duo I could put everything on medium-high and got about 30FPS.

Newer games especially, will get bottlenecked more. Here's an article on Tomshardware they just had about using a single core processor with an AGP 3850. They are using an AMD Athlon 64 single core though which is better then a Pentium 4 (Except now Intel core 2 duo's are better then AMD dual cores). http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ati-ag...agp,1939-8.html . Thats a link to the conclusion, and they kind of sum it up saying its not really worth it. They suggest getting a much cheaper 2600XT, but if you have a 1650GT, I don't think you would really even see a big improvement from that either.

If you really want to get a new card though, get something with at least DDR3 memory. Newegg had some cheaper 3650's, but they use only DDR2 memory. A 2600Xt would be better.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 general grievous

general grievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

understood... my cpu sux(not a lot tho, but nowadays it will not handle stuff decently even overclocked all d way up) and now i got in my mind that if i still buy that graphics card(agp hd3850 512mb) but in adition i buy a core 2 duo it would really be worth it since i dont wanna throw my older parts to the trash can, i repeat, ofcourse i will buy a kickass sli quad core and stuff apart of this... but i wanna save this to play last gen games (like ut3 for example) with my friends in lan, i dun pretend to make this oldie a kickass system, i just wanna make sure it runs things the best a system that old could.

NOW TO THE GRAIN

now that my mobo is a soc 775 and supports dual cores( biostar p4m800-m7a), i am receiving advice of which could be the best core duo procesor out there in the market for me to buy :thumbsup: and how much could i get it for(new).

aswell as how much could i spect to receive for my current procesor and video card if i pretend to sell em.

once more tyvm u r so supportive guys ty.

EDIT:oh sh*t i have been reading that some older soc775 mobos have compatibility issues with the new core 2 duo, ie:E6600

that has me concerned... will my mobo b able to run it?? and btw i wanna buy the very best core 2 duo processor out there, i am just waiting for your advice to take action and buy it.(oh god i hope my mobo is not a piece of sh*t and support that new processor)

Edited by general grievous, 07 June 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

I looked up your motherboard and came up with this: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_ID=92 . Now it only supports up to 800mhz FSB which is ok because they make some nice core 2 duo's that run at that.My processor is an E4400 which at stock is 2.0ghz, but I can overclock it up to 3.0ghz. At 3.0ghz though it crashes but anywhere below it is stable. No voltage or ram adjusting either, and I'm running it with a cheap heatsink and crappy thermal paste.

Anyway, the problem is that it says it only supports Celeron D's, and Pentium 4's. I think if you put anything in it that isn't supported, it won't boot. Then again, if you know someone who will let you borrow their core 2 duo, I don't think it would hurt to try. I just wouldn't try putting in anything that has more then 800mhz FSB.

I don't think this system can become much beastier lol.

Edited by Sterling14, 07 June 2008 - 04:48 PM.

#10 general grievous

general grievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:57 AM

I looked up your motherboard and came up with this: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_ID=92 . Now it only supports up to 800mhz FSB which is ok because they make some nice core 2 duo's that run at that.My processor is an E4400 which at stock is 2.0ghz, but I can overclock it up to 3.0ghz. At 3.0ghz though it crashes but anywhere below it is stable. No voltage or ram adjusting either, and I'm running it with a cheap heatsink and crappy thermal paste.

Anyway, the problem is that it says it only supports Celeron D's, and Pentium 4's. I think if you put anything in it that isn't supported, it won't boot. Then again, if you know someone who will let you borrow their core 2 duo, I don't think it would hurt to try. I just wouldn't try putting in anything that has more then 800mhz FSB.

I don't think this system can become much beastier lol.

Ihave just checked my mobo, and theres the name printed on it P4M800-M7A rev 7.0

i have been investigating the internet and there are all sorts of opinions, the link u gave to me says it supports p4 ht and celeron d, but in other places some guys say that it would support pentium d and even core 2 duo... but i have heard that the best pd would suck when compared to the lowest end c2duo. a bios flash is also of my interest to be up to date.

heres a link to the mobo where it says supports dual core(dunno if pentium d or core 2 duo tho)

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P4...-M7&cat=MBB

Edited by general grievous, 09 June 2008 - 01:27 PM.

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:44 PM

Well, which motherboard looks more like yours? I think it's weird they would give different motherboard model numbers to multiple motherboards. The specs seem very identical though. Anyway, while looking through that page, it only says it supports Celeron D and Pentium 4. I don't see where it says Pentium D or Core 2 Duo. Also, Pentium D's aren't really good at all. Going from a Pentium 4 to a Pentium d is not much of an improvement at all.

#12 general grievous

general grievous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

Well, which motherboard looks more like yours? I think it's weird they would give different motherboard model numbers to multiple motherboards. The specs seem very identical though. Anyway, while looking through that page, it only says it supports Celeron D and Pentium 4. I don't see where it says Pentium D or Core 2 Duo. Also, Pentium D's aren't really good at all. Going from a Pentium 4 to a Pentium d is not much of an improvement at all.

i am currently able to run bioshock,cod4, gears of war(all of those ful settings at 1024x768) crysis(medium,high at 800x600 no aa) and some other last gen games in pretty good settings and playability, the only one that has given me trouble is unreal tournament 3, it often stutters in the biggest maps but in the small ones runs ok, that not mattering if its at highest or lowest settings, it always gives the same result, and ironically it runs much better at 1280x1024 than at 800x600 lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users