Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Full Of Soot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Demonaz

Demonaz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:15 PM

My house recently burned down and my room didnt get much damage, but my computers ended up full of soot, I had two custom computers that i built and need to know if they would still work if i got all the soot out with a can of air?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

Hello and welcome,

If the soot is removed from the system and there is no damage then the system should work. My main concern would be if heat had damaged any components.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

Pretty much the same thing as nigglesnush just said.

But i'd also recomend to take close inspections of the heatsink when your cleaning. Make sure that it is nice and clean or you might have some overheating problems.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

Besides the soot inside the case you will also have smoke issues, the optical drive/s may require having the lens/es cleaned to remove the smoke residue. Soot can also have gotten into the PSU which would create a potential overheating issue with it as well. Remember to check the areas of the case where air enters for circulation.

Were these computers on at the time of the fire?

Edited by dc3, 06 June 2008 - 10:34 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

Besides blowing out the soot, you may also have to gently clean the smoky film off of your RAM sticks, the MB, in all the nooks and cranies, etc, with a soft cloth and some kind of cleaning fluid, like alcohol. Don't use a wet cloth. Just dampened, and switching from one clean area on the cloth to another as you go along.

If you can get the heat sink cleaned good, I'd go the extra mile and remove the old thermal paste and apply new while you're there.

If everything seems okay, your computer may still smell like smoke for a good while. Keep the case open (side off) to air it out for several days. And never leave it on unattended until you are absolutely sure it's going to be okay.

Edited by mommabear, 06 June 2008 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users