Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Psu Works Then Doesnt Work.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Caspersim

Caspersim

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:21 AM

My buddies HP went through a city wide power outage and since then has not had power.
While the PC is plugged into the wall, I unplugged the PSU from the PC and unplug the power plug to the MOBO wait about 15 - 20 secs for the power to drain (little green light on the PSU lets me know), plug it all back in and the whole system has power again. So I think I fix it but.......I unplug it, leave it overnight and in the morning I have the same problem of no power. So I repeat the steps above and it works again. Any ideas on what is going on, or what might be broken, would be appreciated.

Also, I dont know if this might be related, the system refuses to restart. When I restart, it acts fine, does the whole log off and system shutdown, then when it should post again it does nothing. Just sits there power on, fans spinning, and a black screen.
The shutdown feature works fine.

Thanks Caspersim

Win XP sp2
HP Pavilion
AMD Athlon 64 3200
1.79 GHz
512 mb ram
Bestec 250 W PSU

Edited by Caspersim, 04 June 2008 - 11:33 AM.

"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse,
intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over
governments by controlling the money and its issuance."

~ 4th US President James Madison

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

A new power supply would be the most prudent thing to do. Get one that is equal to or greater power than the one in there.

Just as a test, you could replace it with a known good PS from another machine.

All power supplies have a "Voltage Good" time that is usually under 500 milliseconds (half a second). Possibly, your power supply is not able to get it up to the proper power in enough time.

There is a new LCD display voltage tester that dislays all of the voltage legs as well as the "Time to Good Signal". At $20 it is a great little tool for anyone.

Good luck.

DR

#3 Caspersim

Caspersim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for you time riggacci, Ill give new psu a try.
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse,
intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over
governments by controlling the money and its issuance."

~ 4th US President James Madison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users