Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod Dump Physical Memory Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 burugandini

burugandini

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

hi,. guyz plz help me with this;

my ACER ASPIRE 4720 laptop with a VISTA home edition os and a 2gb ram, i have been getting the BSOD for 4 days now. but it got worst just recently. before i could still access my account but now it crashes few seconds after i log in, even in safe mode. I disabled the automatic restart at one point before it got worst. so i could read the errors on the blue screen. I tried restarting my pc many times already, and trying *safe mode,*system restore* last known good config, * start up repair, and still crashes and i noticed i got diff. errors here are the 3 that i could recalled.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (this is the latest)
tech info: *** stop 0x0000004E (0x00000099, 0x0002c658, 0x00000002, 0x0002E863
----
ndll.dll. (these appeared after a faild system recovery, )
----
** *ntfs.sys - adress 88192bc7 base at 880f8000, datestamp 4764f079
tech info: *** stop 0x00000024 (0x001904AB, 0x88e30A60, 0x88E3075c, 0x88192BC7

i believe the crash began the day, when i installed an avg free edition anti virus, and in the process avg required me to update the 32-bit patch from microsoft. and so i did,. later afternoon my brother who hv been using the laptop the whole day told me bout the error(i just dont know if he had done something else to cause this) by then i tried system restore and uninstalled some unused apps, and it was fixed for some time, the next day BSOD reappeared. now it really is worst,.

ive been wanting to restore this from a back up cd which we made just right after purchase.( its a 2 dvd back up) but i would lost important files.. so guyz plz help me fix this, or at least help me recover my files and guide me through the recovery from a back up,.

thnx, i expect ur helpful replies,. btw i'm using another comp. for this msg.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

If it crashes before you get into safe mode, and Startup Repair didn't help - then I'd suspect either a problem with your hard drive or a problem with your memory (RAM).

You can download a free, bootable hard drive diagnostic test from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive.
You can download this free, bootable memory test also: http://www.memtest86.com/
(directions will be on their webpages)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 burugandini

burugandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:58 PM

If it crashes before you get into safe mode, and Startup Repair didn't help - then I'd suspect either a problem with your hard drive or a problem with your memory (RAM).

You can download a free, bootable hard drive diagnostic test from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive.
You can download this free, bootable memory test also: http://www.memtest86.com/
(directions will be on their webpages)

hi, thnx for the reply. sometimes it crashes before i get in and sometimes it crashes few seconds after i got in.(most of the time as soon as i click a program, or when i insert a usb flash disk) yup startup repair did not help,. and now sometimes during repair it crashes, T_T

ow,. and i checkd out the link that u gave me,. with bootable hard drive diagnostic test (memtest v.34) it wasnt free,. but lower versions are,. so can i use them instead? ow,.and bydway how can i use it i cant even access my account??

i'm wanting to restore the laptop from a back up cd's as a last resort,. do u think it'l do the job? and what's this in BIOS system restore disk to disk, is this the same with the restore from a back up?

#4 burugandini

burugandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:25 PM

bydway am i crazy to think that my back up cd's (2 dvd)would restore my computer from its original state,. including windows system? the shop where i bought the laptop did not gave me a vista installer,. but burned me a back up dvd's (this part i dnt understand) and then told me not to lose this because it is important,. but i dnt know how does this work and how to use it. help plz,. T_T

#5 burugandini

burugandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:39 AM

ow,. my bad,. it does can restore the system from a factory state,. http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/data/7117...0Management.pdf ,. good thing for acer users,. hehe,. now my only prob,. how to access my files,. so i could save them before i restore the laptop,.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:48 AM

On the Memtest webpage there's a link on the left for "Free Download" - there's no need to purchase the CD unless you want a copy from them.

Wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS is an option - but if you've got a bad hard drive or bad memory, this won't help. And, you've still go the issue of having to backup your data.

See if you can get a free Live Linux distro, or a copy of the free Ultimate Boot CD ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ) to see if you can copy the data to a removable drive. Another option would be to remove the hard drive and use a drive caddy to slave it to another system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Grelfod

Grelfod

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

Plug in your USB drive and boot to a Ubuntu Linux 'Live CD', You should be able to navigate the Hard drive and copy files off to the USB drive. I do this at work when someone has a system crash. I also use Winternals but you have to pay for that and Ubuntu is FREE - yea!

#8 burugandini

burugandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:37 AM

On the Memtest webpage there's a link on the left for "Free Download" - there's no need to purchase the CD unless you want a copy from them.

Wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS is an option - but if you've got a bad hard drive or bad memory, this won't help. And, you've still go the issue of having to backup your data.

See if you can get a free Live Linux distro, or a copy of the free Ultimate Boot CD ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ) to see if you can copy the data to a removable drive. Another option would be to remove the hard drive and use a drive caddy to slave it to another system.

i checked out d link,.um.. and live linux dstro seems to be complicated for a newbie like me,. though i found out about slax ( http://www.slax.org/ ) could i use this instead to navigate my files? i hvnt tried it yet, and still downloading it... hope it works,.

#9 burugandini

burugandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:40 AM

Plug in your USB drive and boot to a Ubuntu Linux 'Live CD', You should be able to navigate the Hard drive and copy files off to the USB drive. I do this at work when someone has a system crash. I also use Winternals but you have to pay for that and Ubuntu is FREE - yea!

ei thnx for the reply,. same goes with ubantu,. it seems complicated for me, =) and a bit larger than slax,,.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:48 AM

Slax will work for you as long as it supports the backup media that you decide to use (CD/DVD, USB hard drive, USB flash drive, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users