Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ide Master Hd / Sata "slave" ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 etriguer

etriguer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:00 AM

One of my employee's laptop crashed and he had some important docs on his HD. So, I tried taking the SATA laptop HD out and hooking it up to a spare tower I had, which has an IDE "master" drive, thinking that I could use the "bad" harddrive as a slave and just copy off the docs, but the SATA drive is not being recognized when I go in to Disk Management. The SATA drive is showing as "not initialized" but I can't initialize it because I don't want to lose the data that's on it. Is there any way to hook up this SATA hd to another machine and salvage the docs off of it??

I realize that the SATA doesn't have the master/slave option like the IDE drives do, but I need some way to get XP to see the darn thing without initializing it!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

How exactly did you attempt to hook that drive up? Do you have an adaptor? If so, which one?

Best alternative would be to purchase an external case for the HD and allow it to use the USB port on the computer to access it. Just make certain the enclosure does not require a proprietary fomatting and that it supports the SATA notebook drives. The computer shouldn't care what it is at that point.

Good luck.

DR

#3 etriguer

etriguer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:29 PM

I purchased a "SATA Data & Power Combo" cable, from Kingwin, that had one end hook into the drive & power supply while the other end plugged in to the motherboard. It's recognized in the BIOS, just not in Disk Management.

Thanks for recommending the external enclosure - I never thought about that! If I hook it up via USB, I should be able to grab the files off of it just like any other external HD, correct? I'll look around, but is it pretty obvious if the enclosure requires formatting of the drive before it can be used?

Thanks SO much for getting back to me so quickly!!!! =)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

XP won't see the SATA drive...until a SATA driver is loaded.

Does this extra system...have SATA drivers already loaded?

Louis

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

Most of the recent external enclosures format in the normal FAT32 or NTFS. It is just a few that format in their own special way. Check New Egg for the different enclosures and read the reviews for any problems people may have had.

DR

#6 etriguer

etriguer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

Oh... not that I know of. :thumbsup: At least, I didn't install them but when I first hooked up the drive and booted the machine, XP went through it's "found new hardware" process. When I look in Device Manager, there isn't anything about SATA, but the SATA drive is showing under Disk Drives, along with the IDE "master".

I'll check the mfg site for the drivers... thanks. :flowers:

#7 etriguer

etriguer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:49 AM

Ok, I've tried installing SATA drivers from Toshiba (the mfg of the Hard Drive), tried installing them via HPs site (that's the mfg of the computer that I'm using the SATA drive in) and I've tried an external enclosure - all still result in the HD needing to be initialized. *cry*

I'm really confused as to why it would still need to be initialized when hooked up through the external enclosure.......

Any other suggestions?? I'm at a complete loss as to what to do.

Thanks.

#8 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

I would see if you receive the same error (or requirements) from the external enclosure on another machine. If not, you should then be able to transfer the data to a CD or DVD using that workstation. Possibly

That really doesn't make sense to be giving you such a hard time but stranger things have happened.

DR

#9 etriguer

etriguer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

LOL - that's just my luck. :thumbsup: Thanks for the suggestion - I'll try it out.

Thanks so much for all of your help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

#10 etriguer

etriguer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

ok - i took the hd that is in the external enclosure and hooked it up to another computer. when i plugged it in, the computer when through the process of recognizing the "mass storage device", then it recognized the hd mfg/model but when I went in to my computer, the external device wasn't there. so, for giggles, i went in to disk management and, sure enough, the disk is "not initialized".

i swear, i'm going to have nightmares about things not being initialized. :thumbsup:

i hate to ask this, but could the disk just be hosed?

Attached Files

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:09 PM

If you think the drive is hosed...the easiest way to be sure is to attach it properly/directly to a SATA connection on a system supporting SATA drives.

If the drive shows up in Disk Manager...make sure that you assign it a letter that is not currently being used on that system.

I was going to mention jumpers but that should not apply if this is a SATA drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users