Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed Malware Now Have Windows Problems

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jwbink1500

jwbink1500

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:50 AM

Hi

Buckeye Sam recommended I post a new topic here. He's been helping me in the Hijack This and Malware removal Forums.

After Sam and I got the malware removed, I was trying to enable the Recovery Console with no luck. Now Windows wants to go into setup upon reboot (it gives me a choice of setup(default) or Windows XP home edition) and it says there are files missing. For more info check out our post in the forum Buckeye Sam was helping me with:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic147384-15.html
I would like to get the recovery console installed and SP3. But I'll do whatever you suggest. Please Help! :thumbsup:

Thank you,
Joel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

A couple of things come to mind:

You have XP Home, but what service pack do you have (successfully installed) now?

The system file that you say is missing (au6a7oec.sys) doesn't show up in the Microsoft Knowledge Base anywhere, nor does it show up anywhere in my computer. I would suspect that this may either be a system file that may have been a part of your recent malware attack and was removed but Windows is still looking for it (missing registry key or something like that).

One thing that you might want to try is to do a "repair installation"...Insert your XP CD and re-boot...Set-up screen will open up and look for various things (drivers and files)....Press F8 when prompted...Soon another prompt will ask you to press "R" for recovery (btw, this is the recovery console) or press "Enter" or "Esc" (I think) to continue set-up...You will soon see another prompt asking whether you want to do a repair installation or a fresh install...Choose repair...and let it finish. This will repair your installation (you shouldn't lose any programs or data as you aren't re-formating your drive).

This may get your system back to where you want to be (without error messages). You should be able then to use the link provided in the other forum to re-install the recovery console.

About SP3, I would suggest that you do a search through the topics here for installation problems...There have been some issues installing it on AMD based computers...If you do decide that your system is OK to install, I suggest that you run your Anti-Virus, Ant-Spyware, Anti-Adware scans and Defragment your C: drive (or whatever drive XP is installed on) first. I did these steps before I installed it and had no problems what so ever... Turn off your Anti-Virus program (important) and then download and install...Remember to turn your Anti-Virus protrction back on once SP3 is installed...

Edited by douglas martin, 04 June 2008 - 10:18 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 jwbink1500

jwbink1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

Douglas,

Currently I have SP2 installed and it had been working perfectly. I'll give the reboot repair install a shot and let you know what i find.

thanks
Joel

#4 jwbink1500

jwbink1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

Douglas,

Ok, after I entered setup, I got to this point:
Microsoft Windows® Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log on to
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

I pressed 1.

What should I do after that point?

Joel

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

Just hit ENTER (to bypass the password option), then type chkdsk /r and hit ENTER. Allow it to run to completion.

I'm assuming that this is what you wanted to do by going into the Recovery Console.

Louis

#6 jwbink1500

jwbink1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

I'm trying to get rid of the setup screen everytime I start Windows. I was trying to enable the recovery console and install failed. Now i have a setup screen everytime I start Windows. It says files are missing.
I ran CHKDSK /r and got the following results:

CHKDSK is checking the volume
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery
CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume

80027764 kilobytes total disk space
20759588 Kilobytes are available

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
20006941 total allocation units on disk
5189897 allocation units available on disk

Now, i tried rebooting and continuing setup without XP disk in. I'm getting the same message. Windows by default wants to continue setup. Checks hardware configuration.
Then I get the message

au6a7oec.sys could not be found
press any key to continue

(I hit a key and get:)

setup failed press any key to restart

What next?

Joel

Edited by jwbink1500, 04 June 2008 - 03:33 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

au6a7oec.sys...doesn't appear anywhere on the web, other than your post. I'd recheck the error message you posted, if I were you.

I will advise moving beyond that for the moment.

I guess that I'm unclear what it is that you are trying to do.

You use the words "recovery console" but you (IMO) really are trying to reinstall XP or go back to an XP install that existed originally on your system. Pursuing either of those goals...has nothing to do with XP's Recovery Console.

If your intent is to do a repair install of XP...then follow the guidance at Perform a Repair Installation - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Louis

#8 jwbink1500

jwbink1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

On the link I posted above on my post, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic147384-15.html ,Post #5. Combo Fix log says Recovery console not installed Now check Post #10. Has a link to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/
I cannot enable the recovery console.

Besides that, I cannot remove the setup boot that attempts everytime I start Windows XP. Please read the previous post (the first link I have on THIS post) and you will see step by step what started to happen.

And Yes, I'm 100% sure that is the file name. I already quadruple checked it and searched yahoo.com and got no results either. Thats when Buckeye Sam recommended I post here.

I do not want to do a clean install of Windows unless I absolutely have to. I removed malware and attempted to install the recovery console. Now I cannot automatically boot up like Windows normally does. I can't boot up an walk away for 5 minutes. It goes to a screen where i have the option of selecting Setup or Booting Windows XP Home Edition. I want to stop the goofy startup that I have to stand there and select Windows XP Home Edition every time. AND/OR to enable the rocovery console.

As I said please read the previous post (at least the last half) to see where the problems began. I can explain, but I'd just be retyping.

and Thank You for all of your help so far!!!

Joel

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:07 AM

On the link I posted above on my post, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic147384-15.html ,Post #5. Combo Fix log says Recovery console not installed Now check Post #10. Has a link to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/
I cannot enable the recovery console.

Besides that, I cannot remove the setup boot that attempts everytime I start Windows XP. Please read the previous post (the first link I have on THIS post) and you will see step by step what started to happen.

And Yes, I'm 100% sure that is the file name. I already quadruple checked it and searched yahoo.com and got no results either. Thats when Buckeye Sam recommended I post here.

I do not want to do a clean install of Windows unless I absolutely have to. I removed malware and attempted to install the recovery console. Now I cannot automatically boot up like Windows normally does. I can't boot up an walk away for 5 minutes. It goes to a screen where i have the option of selecting Setup or Booting Windows XP Home Edition. I want to stop the goofy startup that I have to stand there and select Windows XP Home Edition every time. AND/OR to enable the rocovery console.

As I said please read the previous post (at least the last half) to see where the problems began. I can explain, but I'd just be retyping.

and Thank You for all of your help so far!!!

Joel

I think that the reason you are getting the "Setup" screen is because when you tried to install the recovery console from the command prompt it failed to complete for one reason or another...What I suggest is to try and delete the failed setup. Read through this article. It has a procedure for deleting the recovery console. I have not done this so I can't verify whether it will work for you or not.

http://www.winxpfix.com/page18.htm#delrecc

I know that you don't want to do a clean installation of XP, but being realistic that is probably what I would choose to do if I didn't get the results that I wanted from trying to do the Repair Installation...which you have not done. What you did was get into the recovery console and do a chkdsk /r which is a disk recovery tool. At this point I would look at the links that Louis posted concerning "Repair Installation". If you are using IE7, you need to un-install it first.

Personally, if this was my problem, I would move any files and programs that I wanted to save onto an external drive and do a completely fresh install. With all of the problems that you have been having this is probably a good idea anyways. It really isn't that terrible of a process.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:08 AM

If you're getting the error that au6a7oec.sys is missing when starting up the computer, it's likely that the file was a virus and was removed by the cleaning process. The "fix" that you used probably didn't remove the startup entry from the registry when it removed the file - so Windows is still trying to launch the virus, but it's not there to be launched.

I'd suggest using this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx
In the everything tab, scroll down the list of the Image Path program until you find au6a7oec.sys. Remove the check mark from the left of that entry and reboot to see if it's been fixed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:10 AM

usasma is probably correct...You might consider fixing one problem at a time...It will probably make things less confusing for all concerned.

#12 jwbink1500

jwbink1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:01 PM

Ok here's what I get:

When I reboot with Windows XP CD in, I press any key to boot from CD. Then I get the following message:
This computer is already in the process of being upgraded to Microsoft Windows. What do you want to do?

*To continue current upgrade, press enter. (This fails because i get the au6a7oec.sys error message)

*To cancel the current upgrade and install new version of Microsoft Windows, press F10

*To exit setp without installing Microsoft Windows press F3.

Now a couple of questions.
If I press F10, will that delete any of my old files (pictures, MP3's, games, etc.)?

Is there a limit to how many times i can reinstall a fresh versions of Windows. I have done it 2 or 3 times in the past. My comp gets so overloaded with viruses and spyware that I just wipe and reinstall fresh.

I ran the AutoRun program that was mentioned above and the file is nowhere on there. The problem stemmed from when I attempted to integrate SP2 files with my current version. Thats when I started getting the error. See posts #12 thru #16 or so here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic147384-15.html

And as always, thanks you guys all for the help!

Joel

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:49 PM

If you press F10...you will either do a clean install on the existing partition, wiping out the current installation...or you will install XP in some other partition...or you will create a duplicate install of XP on the same partition, resulting in 2 Windows folders.

All three of these have been known to occur on user drives, depending on hard drive configurations, etc.

Louis

#14 jwbink1500

jwbink1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

Ok, so what next? And is there a limit to how many times i can install Windows after wiping my hard drive? I have wiped and clean installed 2 or 3 times already, but didn't know if there was a limit.

And how do I correct the failed install?

Joel

#15 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:53 AM

You can re-install as many times as you would like as long as you have a valid license key. I have done this several times to my computer when trying to fix problems...The last 2 times I had to call the Microsoft 1-800 to complete the activation process which was no big deal. Rule is ONE LICENSE, ONE MACHINE...

A fresh installation should resolve any issue such as the failed recovery console installation...As far as the au6a7oec.sys file missing issue...I have searched the Microsoft Knowledge DataBase for it and nothing comes up. If I understand you correctly you only recieve this message when you try to complete the failed installation...Fresh Install should fix this also.

If you don't want to lose your MP3 and game files and programs move them to an external drive or burn CD's to save them for installation after re-installation of XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users