Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Partially Shuts Down After <1minute

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tafka

tafka

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:58 PM

hello... first post - please help!

i built my own system with amd 6400 2x, asus mobo, and nvidia graphics card about a year ago and it has been 100% stable since day 1... then today it began to partially shut down less than 1 minute after xp starts... it partially shuts down in about the same time whether i boot normally and let xp start, boot in safe mode, or press delete to enter setup and don't start XP at all...

when i say "partially shuts down" what i mean is the monitor suddenly displays "no signal" but the fans/power supply/leds still appear to be on... i tried resetting the bios by taking out the cmos battery and switching the jumper to the 2nd/3rd pins instead of the 1st/2nd for 30 seconds and then trying to reboot with default bios settings, but no luck... i also tried selecting "last known good configuration" during boot with no luck... i also quickly went to system -> advanced -> disable auto restart on one of my boots and that didn't stop the problem either...

to the best of my limited knowledge, this seems like a hardware short circuit, but i haven't changed any hardware lately... there was a momentary power outage at my house the day before this began and the outlet that powers my surge protector is not properly grounded, so theoretically it's possible that a power surge caused some type of damage... i did also install pirated copies (i know, i know) of kaspersky antivirus and a disney pixar cars video game in the days immediately preceding the problem...

if anyone can help, please do... my whole life is on this machine... even a suggestion for how to locate a computer technician who does more than charge $150 to run AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and defrag would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance...

Edited by tafka, 04 June 2008 - 12:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:11 AM

Hi tafka, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Do you have onboard video that you can try to see if your problem is the graphics card?

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

Be sure that you choose System.

The error will appear in the far left column and will appear as a red dot with a white X inside. Each of the columns has a title at the top of them, the column that you want is the Event column. When you see an error follow it to the right across the page to the event column, there will be a set of numbers in there, this is the error code. If you right click on the error code a drop menu will appear, click on Properties, another page will open which will contain a description of the error.

Please post the error codes and descriptions back in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 04 June 2008 - 12:12 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tafka

tafka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:06 AM

unfortunately the computer will not stay on long enough for me to get through those few simple steps (i'm posting from my laptop)...

as far as your question regarding onboard video, do you mean does my mobo have onboard video? i think the answer is yes... it's an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe, which i believe has some low-level NVIDIA integrated graphics processing, although the system was running a VGA EVGA 7900GS KO 256-P2-N624-AR R graphics card... is the next diagnostic step simply to take out the graphics card and see if the system is stable? i'm a lot more comfortable with software issues than hardware (this was the first system i ever built from the ground up)...

the more i think about it, the more i'm convinced that something got "fried" when we had the power outage... is there a "weakest link" hardware component that is statistically most likely to go first? since i'm not running another system, the prospect of systematically testing each component is daunting...

thanks for your quick response earlier and i'm sorry i can't provide the troubleshooting input you asked for...

/tafka

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:15 AM

That motherboard doesn't have onboard video.

A power outage and a surge are two different things. If you experienced a power outage I doubt that anything got fried, if anything, the possibility of damaging the operating system by the forced shut down would be my concern.

Can you test you monitor on your laptop?

What make and model is your graphics card? Does it have a fan on it, and is it working?

Have you checked your connections, and looked to make sure that the graphics card is properly seated?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 tafka

tafka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:28 AM

I think the graphics card is a Ge-Force EVGA 7900GS KO - and i don't think it has it's own fan, but there is a noticable decrease in noise from the case when the signal to the monitor stops, so i will look tonight and see which fan is stopping... thanks for your help...

/tafka

#6 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:15 PM

Is the power button the monitor on? If yes, what color.

Edited by Richard Fu, 06 June 2008 - 08:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users