Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive To Reinstall Os

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

Okay I have decided to purchase a new internal hard drive since the original has problems or its contents may be recovered one day.

Anyway here is the computer's specs according to the packaging slip from Dell

1. DIM E10, P4, 630 (3.O GHZ), HT
2. 160GB SERIAL ATA, 7200 RPM, DIM, M
3. 16X DVD-ROM AND 16X DVD+/-RW, DIM05, M
4. 17IN (17.0 IN) E173FPV, FPIB, DIM, M
5. 512MB DDR2 SDRAM, 400MHZ- 2X256MB, DIM, M

This is a Dell E510 modal desktop which I got in the Fall of 2005. I also do not completely understand all the descritpions that I typed for the specs.

Since I just want to replace the hard drive for now, only those specs should matter (for the most part)

I am looking for a hard drive of about the same capacity though smaller might be better since I plan to backup more intensively. Also I would like to have the drive partitioned even though I have never done such. I have read that partitioning is rather useful so I can have X amount reserved just for OS purposes and the rest for other categories.

Advice and suggestions are very much welcomed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

Any of the hdds on this page a Newegg will work in that computer.

What is the story behind the old hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

dc3, I made a topic about a month ago

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...&pid=816471

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users