Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home, Various Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pjona

pjona

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:32 PM

Hello,

For some reason (I think it might be perhaps some "thorough" uninstalls I did, but am unsure), I'm having problems with certain functions in Windows.

For months, I've been getting error messages about various system files, but have been able to function okay anyway.

Although I have a valid installation of Windows XP Home, I have no disks, and therein lies the problem. I cannot reinstall Windows.

For the last 2 days, I am unable to see any text or graphics in my "System Restore" window, nor any side text or graphics in "Search" window. User Accounts window is also blank (window comes up but is blank.)

I'd like to, as a first step, since I can't reinstall XP, figure out if I can System Restore from somewhere else? Using Run? From DOS? I think this might help with some of the most recent problems.

In addition, since I do have a valid install (although no disks), is there anyway possible for me to repair/reinstall Windows XP SP2?

I would really appreciate any feedback/help on this. It's driving me nuts, and I think it's just a matter of time until I can't do anything...

Thank you kindly,
Pamela

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

For the System Restore problem, log in as Administrator or equivalent. Click Start, Run and type these commands one by one:

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll (only use this command if you have Internet Explorer 6)

This may also take care of the blank User Accounts window. If not try the following commands:

regsvr32 nusrmgr.cpl
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

You may want to contact the manufacturer of your computer to enquire about getting the Windows disks. They normally only charge a nominal fee for this.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users