Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ibook G4 Laptop Lcd Monitor - Problems!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shmutz

Shmutz

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:15 PM

Hi

I have an iBook G4 12" laptop, and I recently took my computer to a tech shop and had the hard drive replaced from a 60 GB to 160 GB.
Three months later, i turn on the computer and the monitor is divided in a strange and defective way: the screen has now shrunken to about 7.5 by 5.5 inches; to the right of that is a long black column that is about 2 inches in width and its length stretches from the top of the monitor to the bottom; and finally, the last piece of the monitor is below the shrunken screen and to the left side of the black column, I see what is just a mirror image of the shrunken screen. IN addition, I cannot adjust the brightness of the monitor.

Now, i took my computer to Apple and they said that it would cost around $300 for a new monitor and an additional fee for labor. They also said that there is a cable that leads to the monitor close to the hard drive, so perhaps the operation 3 months ago had an affect on the monitor.

Also, the monitor isn't always messed up every time I turn on the computer--about 10% of the time, the screen is normal. That is why to this day I do not turn off or restart my computer, as I'm afraid it will defect again.

I would rather just get the new Macbook then spend $300 + for a repairment--but I can't afford the macbook.

I would like to fix my laptop myself (to avoid spending more money), so I would like to know if there's anyway I could check that cable near the hard drive to see if that's the only problem, or whether it's only the LCD monitor that's broken.

Thanks!
"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe--it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

“If you have butterflies in your stomach, go see a doctor."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

I'm afraid the only way would be to take it apart and look for the problem cable
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Shmutz

Shmutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:54 PM

thanks for responding,

but i have had no experience in taking apart laptops (although I have experience with desktops). I found guides that give instructions on replacing the monitor and such, which I think I am capable of doing that job (instead of taking it to a tech).

However, i don't know where or what to specifically take apart in this case, or what cable to look for and how to identify that is the problem.

Also, if it is a cable, then how come it worked fine for 3 months after the hard drive replacement, and yet now the monitor acts strangely? I'm leaning more towards the idea that the monitor is the problem, but I really don't know...

Any ideas, suggestions, or help?

Thanks!

Edited by Shmutz, 03 June 2008 - 05:55 PM.

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe--it can achieve." -W. Clement Stone

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:08 PM

Also, if it is a cable, then how come it worked fine for 3 months after the hard drive replacement, and yet now the monitor acts strangely? I'm leaning more towards the idea that the monitor is the problem, but I really don't know...

The case does flex somewhat. Depending on how the cable was routed, the insulation could be damaged
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Shmutz

Shmutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

interesting...
so, what would the next step be? What part of the laptop would I have to open up in order to check for the damage?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBook-G4-12-Inch/83/
http://zathras.de/angelweb/blog-ibook-disassembly.htm
http://repair4laptop.org/disassembly_apple.html
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users