Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Hidden In Mp3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Iron_Angel

Iron_Angel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:58 PM

I recently downloaded a song in Frostwire which I tried to play in Frostwire's internal player. I got a error message and automatically became suspicious. As it turns out, my AVG found a Wimad-E trojan in the mp3. I already deleted the file with AVG, but since I tried to open it with Frostwire, could this trojan potentially had spread after being activated?

Edited by garmanma, 03 June 2008 - 05:34 PM.
moved to more appropiate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

Usually that adware is only activated when MediaPlayer opens an IE window asking you to download and install a player, which is actually the malware. As long as you don't fall for that, you should be safe.

Another reason to not use media player for anything
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Iron_Angel

Iron_Angel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I use Winamp for my mp3s, WMP is just too memory-heavy and glitchy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users