Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Edition Taskbar

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

Hello all.

I used to have my taskbar just as I wanted it, but that was weeks ago. With one click I could show all my currently opened windows as a vertical pillar of icons, and clicking any one of these would take me back to that website.

Also, I can't get rid of the language icon. I've right-clicked the system tray - clicked toolbars - and un-checked 'language', but at every bootup it reappears.

I even installed TaskbarRepair Tool Plus!... not worth a cracker. I looked up everything to do with taskbars in my windows Help & Support -- no enlightenment there.

I've got programs which no longer install their icon in the system tray upon startup.

I'd appreciate any help, please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:36 PM

Hello.

To remove the language part, take a look here, if you have not already done so.

With one click I could show all my currently opened windows as a vertical pillar of icons, and clicking any one of these would take me back to that website.

Sorry, was this an issue, or was that the way you wanted it?

I've got programs which no longer install their icon in the system tray upon startup.

Please specify what programs exactly. This way, we can know the files associated with the tray icon and stop them from starting.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:47 AM

With one click I could show all my currently opened windows as a vertical pillar of icons, and clicking any one of these would take me back to that website.

That's how I want it now.

'ItsTime' and 'PeerGuardian' - and sometimes 'Yankee Clipper 3'. What I've done is insert these icons in the Quick Start section of the Taskbar, but they used to be in the System Tray at startup. Start - run - msconfig - Startup tab doesn't show them there.

Thanks for the steps to remove the pesky language bar. I've had this computer for two years and never had this problem before. It just appeared from nowhere.

Edited by Bone Idol, 04 June 2008 - 03:49 AM.

#4 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

For the problem of disappearing icons in the system tray, here's what I found.

Go to Win Explorer--> right click My Network Places and choose Open.
On the left panel that pops up it says "Hide Icons for networked UPnP devices. Click on this and it should change to "Show icons for networked UpnP devices".
Close out of explorer then reboot the computer, all the icons for running programs will now be showing in the sys tray area.

I don't know why this works but I think it's a bug in XP.

Try it, if it doesn't work you can always change it back. It put my "volume control" and "safely remove harware" icons back that kept diappearing.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:59 PM

Thanks WildChild, but I couldn't find "Hide icons for networked UPnP devices".

My os is Windows XP Home Edition.

I right-clicked My Network Places - Open - ... and "Hide icons for networked UPnP devices" doesn't show in the left panel menu of options.

Thanks anyway.

Herbert

#6 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:29 PM

Bone Idol, It's under "Network Tasks". You might have to expand the menu with the little arrows (see attachment)

Attached Files

• Attached File  MyNP.JPG   61.52KB   17 downloads

Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:48 AM

Okay!

Thanks for your kind help, wildchild2. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users