Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beanie34

beanie34

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

I'm a non techie and would love someone to give me a bit of help please! I have a Dell desktop with Vista and want to connect to my housemates wireless internet connection. I don't have a built in modem and would just like to know what I should buy to get myself connected. Do I need a wireless modem?
Apologies for the really stupid question!
Thank you

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 03 June 2008 - 03:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:23 PM

Hello,

As long as you have a wireless network card you should be able to connect. Also if you have an ethernet port on your laptop you should be able to connect.

Can you open the Network and Sharing Center?

Edited by nigglesnush85, 03 June 2008 - 03:25 PM.

Regards,

Alan.

#3 beanie34

beanie34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

Thank you for the help. I have checked and can see I have that little socket space on the PC
Do I need a wireless modem then? Sorry, asking another sense question!

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:17 PM

The image is that of an ethernet port, if you have this on your pc you will be able to connect via an ethernet cable. However if you want to connect through wireless you will need a wireless adaptor.

Can you open the Network and Sharing Center? to view available connections.

You shouldn't need a modem in your system if you have an ethernet or wireless adaptor.

Edited by nigglesnush85, 03 June 2008 - 04:18 PM.

Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users