Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Computer Won't Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Damaru

Damaru

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

Hello,

This morning while I was power cycling my modem & router in an attempt to restore a lost internet connection, I had a strange thing happen. While I was shutting down the computer, the process hung at the point where the message "Windows is shutting down..." was displayed on the screen. My computer has been sitting there with that message displayed for approximately 45 minutes without shutting down. The mouse cursor is still visible and responsive, but there's nothing to click on to abort the process or retry, etc.. To my knowledge, it's never taken the computer in question more than 2 minutes to shut down after the message "Windows is shutting down..." displays.

What could be causing this problem, and how do I fix it? Is it safe for me to shut my computer down manually in its present state?

I'm using WinXP SP2.

Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Damaru

Edited by Damaru, 03 June 2008 - 03:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

Hi Damaru,
Did you install anything else before this promblem happened?
Did you have any infections before this promblem happened?
I had this promblem with my comuter as well, so I shut down my computer by holding the shut down button. I went into Safe Mode and ran some scans and it found some bad things and then once I boot back to Normal mode and shut down my computer everything was back to normal except the computer is alot slower than before.
Anyways, try that and see if that helps.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:22 PM

Has happened on occasion to me...I just shut it down, reboot...run chkdsk /r and continue on my merry way.

For whatever reason, something did not shut down properly.

It's never happened twice consecutively for me, so I have not considered it a problem.

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

XP Shutdown troubleshooter: http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

As hamluis stated, be sure to run chkdsk /r.
Also, if it offers to let you boot into Safe Mode, check the Event Viewer for errors once you're in there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

If you can get into safe mode.

Windows XP Shutdown and Power Off Tip!

On some computers, by default, Windows XP doesn't power off the computer when you tell it to shut down. However, if your computer is relatively new, it can probably by shut completely off by WinXP.

This is how to configure your computer for this behavior, you simply open the Control Panel, open Performance and Maintenance, then Power Options. On the APM tab, check next to "Enable Advanced Power Management support," then click OK. The next time you choose "Shut Down" from the Start Menu, your computer should shut down completely and then power off.

#6 Damaru

Damaru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:11 PM

Merci beaucoup for the responses, guys! :thumbsup:

I shut the computer down manually and then restarted as advised...Presto! Windows booted up with no problems at all. I was half-afraid that the program Windows was having a hard time closing might have something to do with the `delayed write' feature and that I might be interrupting a system-critical process that hadn't finished saving by manually powering down, but thankfully this wasn't the case.

I haven't run chkdsk /r yet, but will be doing so later on this evening. This should prove interesting, as it will be the first opportunity I've had to run that particular program.

Cheers!

Damaru

Edited by Damaru, 05 June 2008 - 02:11 PM.

#7 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:08 AM

I will still suggest booting the PC in Safe Mode and scanning you PC with your AntiVirus. Usually your AV will let you do this. If not, just right click on your C: drive and choose Scan with (your AV), and this will work.

I got an issue like that because I was infected and removing it fixed the issue. Althou not every issue like that one will mean an infection.

Mav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users