Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A Server

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

Just like the topic sais I am trying to build a game server becuase I am about to host a huge file, ftp, and game server. [ Yes if you guys want a downloadable site you can use it :thumbsup: ]

I looked around newegg and I relized I don't really know the first thing about servers! I can build computers without any trouble what so ever but servers I have no experiance with.

So Im going to do what I do. Grab a case, Mobo, processors, ram, hard drives, Os and see what happens tell me what else I will need to do.

Also if any one could give me a little guide on how to set it up as my computer networks DHCP server and an ftp site and a download server and all that good stuff it would be appreciated [Game server is ok I know how to do that in my sleep =P ]

So far I have sat around on newegg and come up with the following things

[Note: I will probably not accept huge file downloads like 8Gb or such. I also will contact you if the file has not been downloaded for a while. This is temporary, I am using a server for my school graduation project, and I'd like to keep it rather clean.]

Server Chasis: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811123126

Server Motherboard : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131251

Server Processors: (Two of these) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819117149

Thats what I have for now, time is short here so I will update this in a little bit as too what else I am putting in.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

Got some more time, heres some more components;

Server Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134648 (8 of these to max out the board)

Server Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817147048

When I see that my motherboard has SATA II I get stumped. I know SATA 3.0 Gb/s but SATA II? Please don't tell me SCSI :thumbsup: I don't want to spend a lot on to 2.5 TB with SCSI

Operating System: Need help here too. I don't know if the 4GB and 64-bit rule still applies on servers. Although I'm thinking of downloading a linux distro for it. What would you recomend? Would it support my 32GB of ram? Will it support an FTP download site and microsoft SQL server 2000? Will it support the rest of my hard ware? Thats my OS requirements. If nothing can meet them Ill get a microsoft NOS so tell me which one to go with.

Thanks for the help ;D Ill reserve some extra space to you guys :huh:

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 03 June 2008 - 03:32 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 09 June 2008 - 04:35 AM

Hey,

I also am thinking of building a server which is the reason why I went on this post.

I like the case that you have chosen and it has alot of good reviews.
1 thing I would like on a server is hot swappable drives, fans, etc and this case has them.

I was just on the Ubuntu Server features list and it says this:

For 32-bit systems the Server Edition is configured to use PAE which allows addressing up to 64GB of memory while the Desktop Edition is configured for 4GB.

and

When running a 64-bit version of Ubuntu on 64-bit processors you are not limited by memory addressing space.

But... I don't think that it will be compatible with Microsoft SQL Server. I'm not saying that it wont, I'm just saying that I don't know if it will or not.

Also, what do you mean by 'downloadable site'?

Actually... doing a quick search on Google :thumbsup: found these sites about SQL Server and Ubuntu:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=306947
http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t459418.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us...ril/072594.html

Edited by pcmaddeanp, 09 June 2008 - 04:42 AM.

pcmaddeanp

Server Room Geek - IT Professionals Community

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

I ment downloadble site like filefront or fileshare or what ever.

I dont think SQL will work very well on Ubuntu without wine, and SQL + Wine = Lag? I dunno. I think I'll just stick with a Microsoft Server OS.

#5 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

I ment downloadble site like filefront or fileshare or what ever.

Oh right! If/When you do do that could you tell me how you did it?

pcmaddeanp

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

Sure, I'm in the process or researching the SataII thing and the download able site :thumbsup:

#7 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

Cool Thanks.
Why don't you just have 1 PC virtualising all the other things you want to run?

pcmaddeanp

#8 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by that? Do you mean sacrifice a PC and make it into the server?

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:09 PM

If you have an old machine laying around it will make a great server.
I host Americas Army, Jabber, TeamSpeak, Apache with PHP and MySQL, and
Ampache Media Delivery.
All on an old 667 Celeron and 768 Ram. The only problems I have is with bandwidth,
but the server itself has no trouble keeping up. Keep in mind that it's not 'heavily' used
by thousands or even hundreds of users.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#10 pcmaddeanp

pcmaddeanp

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:29 AM

Wow raw! :thumbsup:
What is 'Ampache Media Delivery' because I can't find it on Google. Also I tried 'Apache Media Delivery' but that came up with not much either!
Could you tell me/us how you set up your server?
What OS do you use?
What software do you use as well as Jabber, TeamSpark, Ampache Media Delivery and America's Army?

Thanks

EDIT: Did a search for 'Ampache' and found that it is a 'Web-based audio file manager'.

Edited by pcmaddeanp, 12 June 2008 - 11:31 AM.

pcmaddeanp

#11 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:47 AM

If you have an old machine laying around it will make a great server.
I host Americas Army, Jabber, TeamSpeak, Apache with PHP and MySQL, and
Ampache Media Delivery.
All on an old 667 Celeron and 768 Ram. The only problems I have is with bandwidth,
but the server itself has no trouble keeping up. Keep in mind that it's not 'heavily' used
by thousands or even hundreds of users.

Well thats the thing... I plan it to be in use for hundreds upon hundreds and still have some idle.

Believe me... I am organizing an pretty big LAN tournament that will be used weekly. And the server is going to be a file downloader... game server and so much more =p

I need the power baby! :thumbsup:

#12 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

Nothing wrong with a powerful machine, I'm kinda partial to the
Sun Fire E25K, i'm just a few dollars short of that 1.1 million dollar
price tag.
I am running the TinySofa classic server OS, but it looks like the project
has died. The only thing running besides what i mentioned is the SSH daemon
and FTP server. FTP is restricted to local machines. Everything runs as 'raw' or
'nobody' so if the server is compromised not too much damage can be done.

One recommendation is look into a Cisco router, those home units just can't handle
the traffic like the big boys.

rawsig.png

#13 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

Already have a Linksys WRT54G Will that be ok? O.o

#14 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:41 PM

Unfortunately the home routers are designed for ease of use, and
the most common use is to network a few PC's and surf the net and such.
They really aren't meant to be in front of a high traffic server.
They will almost always fail (start dropping packets) if you get near 30 users
on the WAN side. On the LAN side you should be able to handle about 50 users.
I see a lot of positive posts about the WRT54GL <---Note the L
with the DD-WRT firmware so you might be OK.

My server would handle 10 slots on AA and 8-10 players on TeamSpeak, but the bandwidth
would start to suffer. I don't know if it's because of crappy ISP or my poor little Linksys just
couldn't keep up. Keep in mind that I was the only one on the LAN side, every other connection
was from the WAN side.

rawsig.png

#15 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:27 AM

I'm also looking to build a dedicated multiplayer server that can host around 150 to 200 players on 5 (maybe more) different games (cod4 1&2, UT3, CSS, Halflife2 deathmatch,etc) simultaneously. This server needs to be up 24/7 with an upload speed around 10mbps? Is this a situation to consider a dual proc setup? How much RAM would I need to remain stable under heavy load? I have so many questions! I just need a stable platform with which to build on but I've never built a dedicated server before.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users