Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Memory Notice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shady lady

shady lady

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:01 AM

I have a 400 Toshiba that is about 6 weeks old. I was in Word yesterday, and not being sure how to move a paragraph I asked Word to help. I clicked on something that I thought might help and was told that my memory was insufficient. I am now worried because I only use the computer for fun, and do not have very much stuff on it. I have copied my itunes from my other computer, and have about twenty photos on it, but other than that there is very little esle. The computer was one of those promotion ones from Currys or Comet, [can't remember offhand], and it seemed to have more than enough memory for my use. I don't know much about computers apart from very basic use, so I would be very grateful for any help. Also a] how do I find how much memory I actually have b]how do I know if it is enough c] can I upgrade my memory if I don't have enough. Computer has 2.00 GB RAM, a AMD Athalon [tm] 64x2 dual core processor TK-%% 1.80 GHz.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

There are different kinds of memory in your computer - we'll need to know the xact error message in order to figure this out.

You can likely add more memory to your system - but that opens up a whole new can of worms. To figure this out, we'll need to know the exact model number of your Toshiba laptop (ex: A215-4609)

Since you know that your computer has 2.00 GB RAM - that's how much memory it has (and it's usually enough for most people using Vista). GB's are a measure of capacity (like quarts or pints). Your computer can hold 2.00 GB of memory in your RAM. It can also hold an unknown amount of data (in GB) on your hard drive. If you're receiving mesages about Virtual Memory, then that's a whole different concept altogether.

Sometimes a program can misbehave and take up too much virtual memory (that's why I mentioned it above). If that's the case, then you have to figure out if it's your virtual memory store on your hard drive (called a pagefile) or a problem with the program and it's existence in the virtual memory space (this is different from the virtual memory store).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 shady lady

shady lady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:38 AM

Thank you so much for replying. It all sounds mystifying to me. So far I have had no more messages re memory. I don't think the message that appeared said anything about virtual memory. I am hoping that it was just a blip and won't happen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users