Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stopping Unnecessary Processes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vincident

Vincident

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

Hello All -

Concerning process that can be stopped to save RAM and processor...

I'd like to learn if stopping a process in MSCONFIG truly stops the process, and also, how one can link up a filename for a process with how it appears in SERVICES.MSC if that is possible.

Let's take igfxpers.exe for example. It's unnecessary and can be unchecked in MSCONFIG. But the BleepingComputer processes library shows that this file could be loaded from 4 different paces in the registry. Perhaps unchecking this file in MSCONFIG stops it from loading altogether.

But what I was curious to know is if there is a way to go into SERVICES.MSC and find this file or any other file in the services list to either see if it's running anyway even if unchecked, or if the uncheck does indeed take care of it.

THANKS FOLKS!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:13 AM

You can go into the Task Manager, and under Processes, end any process that is listed there. I would suggest that you be sure that you know and understand any process that you are going to stop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

Hello.

Please take note that the msconfig startup tab is not related to services.msc. In the services tab, when the service is unchecked, it is disabled. You should not be using msconfig to do this. Rather, set the status to disabled using services.msc.

Let's take igfxpers.exe for example. It's unnecessary and can be unchecked in MSCONFIG. But the BleepingComputer processes library shows that this file could be loaded from 4 different paces in the registry. Perhaps unchecking this file in MSCONFIG stops it from loading altogether.

Msconfig shows where in the registry the file is being loaded from.

how one can link up a filename for a process with how it appears in SERVICES.MSC if that is possible.

You can Google the service name. Alternatively, you could query the registry name, search the registry for it, and then find the file name. Is there a particular reason you would need to know the file name for a service?

With Regards,
The Panda

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

Instead of MSCONFIG, download ans use Autoruns
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users