Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shall I Tick 'compress Hd' Box?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

Hi, I'm down to my last Gig of space on my 20 Gig hard drive and am looking for ways to free up space.
In my HD 'Properties' there's a tick box labelled "Compress drive to save disk space" but I'm not sure what it means, shall I tick it anyway to see what happens?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

Your hdd needs to have at least 15% free space for swap space, otherwise it will start moving at a snails pace, or worse. I would suggest that you transfer files like photos, music, videos to a removable media like CDs or DVDs.

If your hdd is this full you might want to consider adding another hdd to your system for storage. If it is a desktop you may be able to install it internally as a slave drive. If it is a laptop you will need to use an external hdd, if this is the case, I would also suggest that you purchase an external drive that has its own power supply as enclosure that draws on the USB will be a drain on your battery when operating from it.

Edited by dc3, 06 June 2008 - 10:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

You need to physically move some items from that drive...if it's a boot drive with your Windows install.

As for creating space...turn off System Restore, turn off Indexing, remove all programs which you don't use frequently, dump the Recycle Bin and IE cache, delete data files which serve no useful purpose.

Save graphics files and music files on CD/DVD, not on the hard drive.

Louis

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

Wow, it seems Sys Restore was taking up about 2 Gigs space, what a waste!
The slider was set to allocate about 2 Gigs amount of space, so I dragged it to 1% to allow just 200Mb from now on and bingo! I got a couple of Gigs space back, presumably it deleted all the Restore Points in excess of 200 Mb..:thumbsup:
For two pins I'd turn SR off completely but never know when I might need it, so do you guys think leaving it at 200Mb allocation is a fair compromise?
One more thing- SR sets Restore Checkpoints every 4 days doesn't it, and it'll keep setting them up to my 200Mb alloc limit, after which it'll delete the oldest checkpoints to make room for new ones, have I understood that correctly?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

I hate to put it this way, but all you are doing is putting a band aid on the problem rather than addressing the real issue. You need to either remove files and store them on removable media like CDs, DVDs, Flash Drive, or a second hdd. I would suggest a second hdd, 20GB is pretty small for todays use.

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users