Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Xp

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:47 AM

Two things.

I dont have my windows CD anymore for my laptop. Can I use my friends Windows XP CD to install, and use the serial for it which is on the underside of my laptop?

Also, I will be getting a new desktop soon, would I be able to use my friends Windows XP CD and use the serial on the bottom of my laptop, IF I unsintall windows on my laptop?

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rickx

rickx

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

Yes, you can use the CD from your friend and use your own serial number. But make sure that the the Windows Versions are the same for the CD and the serial number.
For Example if the CD has XP Professional and The Serial Number you have is for XP Home it may not work.

Also 1 licence per machine, but u may have to call microsft to acticate--(716) 871-2781
:thumbsup:

Edited by rickx, 03 June 2008 - 07:28 AM.

#3 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:31 AM

So when I install onto my PC, and off my laptop, Id have to call microsoft and let them know so they can sort it out?

My laptop is xp home media center or something like that. The CD is xp home

#4 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

RIght.. I wana know something.

Reason I'm installing windows on my laptop is that I have the NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart.

If I put in the windows CD and install, will it fix that error, and also, will when I install, will i have two versions of XP home on my laptop. If so, how do I uninstall my current version?

#5 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:25 AM

I installed to the same partition as my current windows, and there was an option of re-formatting.. So I hit that one..

That will get rid of my old windows and re-install.. right..

#6 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

Says my serial is invalid.. What can I do :-(

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

For Example if the CD has XP Professional and The Serial Number you have is for XP Home it may not work.

Also 1 licence per machine, but u may have to call microsft to acticate--(716) 871-2781

Are you using the exact same version CD as your license is for? Is the CD a retail version and your license is an OEM? Are you using a SP2 CD and you only had an original license with SP1? Lots of variables you have not covered in all your actions thus far. The Windows CD must match your license exactly or you will need to call MS and straighten it out.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

Mine is media center edition.. but im sure when i looked at my hjt log, it said home edition, Media Center Confuses me. Which is the same as the CD. The CD is a retauk version of XP Home+sp2 CD. My laptop I bought online and yep, its OEM, and I didnt get any CDs with it. My product key is on the underside of my laptop, but that key doesnt work

#9 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

Since I reformatted in the setup and then install the xp home edition.. my computer does not work now.. Probably because I pressed cancel after my serial key didnt work...

I was very naughty, and got a copy of tinyxp which apparently doesnt need a serial (and apparently illegal??), which I want to use until I can get the recovery/xp cd off acer, but i cant ran it, because when I turn on the computer, it wants to resume the xp home, and I dont know how to stop this install.. I cant/dont know how I can access the recovery console to reformat so that my computer doesnt ask for the xp home CD again..

How do I fix this, because surely, when I get the CDs from acer, I will encounter this problem again, unless I reformat it..?

Thanks for any help, my girlfriend getting annoyed at me using her computer all day to check on updates :thumbsup:

#10 rickx

rickx

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:42 AM

if you use the your serial number. it has to match the version of windows that it was for..if your version was XP home then you need a XP Home CD..Ask your friends if they have one that u can borrow..

If it says invald key then call microsoft..and explain it to them(you aren't doing anything illegal)
dont use any cracking programs to get XP cuz microsoft wont thank you for that. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#11 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:50 AM

ok

how do i get rid of the half installed version of windows on my laptop?

thats all i have.. half of xp home, no other os to boot...

#12 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

Well its going to cost me 50pence per minute to call the people to get the recovery CDs and then an extra 50 for them.. Im sure i can get the cheapest vista for that price.. and then just sell my laptop when I get my desktop in a few months time :thumbsup:

THanks for the help :flowers:

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:54 AM

ok

how do i get rid of the half installed version of windows on my laptop?

thats all i have.. half of xp home, no other os to boot...

You can wipe the drive with a free utility like Active Kill Disk, this will give you clean drive to start with. If you can find a friend that has the same version of XP for the same make computer you can use it to make the installation, as long as you have a valid product code.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 dark messenger

dark messenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

how do I run that program on my computer? when I can only access the bios :thumbsup:

Can i put it on a CD and boot from it?

#15 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:12 PM

See Booting from a CD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users