Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CREDIT REPORT

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:17 PM

Does anyone know a safe and reliable website, to receive a Free Credit Report?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:52 PM

I do not, and I would advise extreme caution in that regard. In order to obtain the report, you will need to provide the source with at least your name, your date of birth, and your Social Security number. With that information, almost anyone can obtain all of your financial information, including bank accounts, credit cards, loan history, etc. That information may also contain derogatory comments attributable to previous employers, landlords, and (shudder) ex-wives. With a little more work and some guile, your medical history/records can be exposed. And so can any past brushes with the legal system, no matter your guilt or innocence.

Scared? You should be. So rather than trying to obtain a "free" report from an uncertain source, I would suggest that you pay a relatively small fee to one of the legitimate credit reporting agencies such as Equifax or Experian.

Good luck and be careful. Privacy is a precious commodity.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:29 AM

Be aware of the term "FREE".
At the www.freecreditreport.com site, you have to have a credit card to get your free credit report, as with many other sites, if not all. They need your credit card number to 'process your free report' AS LONG AS YOU SIGN UP FOR their 'protect-yourself-from-bad-guys-with-our-program' program. That is also free for 30 days, if you don't cancel, they are happy to bill you for $30-40/mo.
Call one of the credit agencies. Each person gets one free report per year. If you've been denied credit for anything, photocopy the rejection and mail it in to Experian or whichever within 30 days for a free copy.
Good luck.

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:10 AM

TexasAngel67 Good post! I had forgotten about the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act which stipulates that we are entitled to a free report if turned down for credit. I don't know where rlight resides, but there may also be state laws that require free reports every so often.

And another note for rlight: You need to be aware that the very act of checking your credit, if done too often in a short period of time, can adversly afffect your rating. This typically happens when you are shopping for a new vehicle, buying a home, trying to rent a home or apartment, or "shopping" a refinance on your mortgage. Automobile dealers, Realtors, landlord, banks, and finance companies will run a credit check on you (after obtaining your permission or they are in trouble) for their own protection or to make sure you are not wasting their time. Too many such inquiries are a "red flag" on your record essentially warning prospective lenders that "something" is going on in your life that might adversly affect your ability to repay a loan. The same thing can happen when you have too many open lines of credit (credit cards especially) even though you may not have an open balance or even an intent to use the credit in the near future. Good advice regarding lines of credit is to "keep your eggs in just a few baskets" but to watch those baskets very carefully.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:24 AM

Also if you check with your credit card(s) company(s) you may be able to receive a credit report from them. I am sent one from time to time. I think it is free of charge. Worth a try.
Posted Image

#6 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:57 AM

You are right Twinsdad. You are allowed only 2-4 credit checks, whether by you or a potential credit provider or employer, each year. Any more than that and it counts against you.

#7 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:07 PM

I just walked into the local "Mobile Phone Office and said I want a Phone $300, but not sure about my credit rating. Took 10 mins. They said "Its Awful, sorry"

I then sent $3 dollars to "Experian" (thats who they used) who gave me a full report within 48 hours. 72 hours after starting this episode I had a clean credit reference "ON PAPER". Never did want a Phone I just wanted to know what was going on. As it happens ANYONE can ask for a report on themselves from the leading companies for a small fee. Think it is covered under the data protection act (UK) ROW check you local regulations, but pretty much the same I think

Stay away from On Line Gibberish Free Offers. Aint No Free Dinners, apart from BC :thumbsup:

Edited by SaxonManFinland, 05 April 2005 - 03:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users