Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Or Startup Disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 D86

D86

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:36 AM

i have done something dumb! somehow without knowing it, i lost my Windows vista on my Notebook. any help would be great! so what do i do since i did not get any form of disc (Recovery or startup) with my laptop which i have just got, and instead of going to Acer i was hoping for some sort of help! since i sent my cashback from to the Acer company and haven't got it back. which should of happened weeks ago. sorry for my bad grammar, not very good at it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:43 AM

It all depends on what the problem with your system actually is. How far does it get into the boot process before it stops?

You can download a Startup Repair disk from here: http://coblitz.codeen.org/neosmart.net/dow...ry_Disc_x86.iso

Or, you can contact Acer for a set of restore disks (they shouldn't cost very much).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 D86

D86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:35 AM

If you like this is the best but most confusing way for me to say it.
I some how configured my Taskbar i think its called, because i wanted to stop all the startup programs that run in the background, and therefore slowing down my laptop massivley. then i didn't realise that it was more than a couple of programs i disabled and so i disabled them all. and now my Laptop looks like windows 95.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:55 AM

First try booting to Safe Mode (by pressing F8 just beofre the Windows splash screen shows up). Once in Safe Mode, go to Start and type in "msconfig" (wihtout the quotes) and press Enter.

Then re-enable everything and see if you can boot into normal mode. If this helps, then you won't need the Startup Repair disk. Post back and let us know how you made out.

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 D86

D86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:38 AM

thanks for your help. I am glad that someone such as yourself knows what you are doing! this morning i downloaded Windows vista recovery disk and subinacl, trying to surf the net finding the right programs and once i download the above programs i could not install them. so i went to Harvey Norman this afternoon and got them to download Windows Vista Service Pack 1, they asked for $10 for labour. got home tried that and my system propeties, system protection tab and would not allow me to system restore or create a system restore disk. So i checked my emails and now following your instructions, which was successful. now installing Windows Service pack 1 to see if i can fix my Taskbar back to windows vista style. any tips on this would be great and thanks again for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users