Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Channel Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 royce_adam

royce_adam

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:30 AM

Hello, My memory is a DDR2 800 Transcend 512mb (5-5-5-15).
Ive read some articles about dual channeling. Ive got excited about it so I bought a kingston 1gb DDR2 800. Here is the situation:

Before:
I got 512 mb memory in the post test and the specs message is:
"DDR2 800, Single channel, 64bit, 2T"

After I added the 1GB kingston:
I got 1.5 Gb memory in the post test but specs have changed. The message specs now is this:
"DDR2 667, Single Channel, 64bit, 2T"

I thought my kingston was just a DDR2 667 so what I did is I removed the transcend 512 mb and left the kingston alone in the memory slot. The result:
I got 1Gb memory in the post test and specs message is:
"DDR2 800, Single channel, 64bit, 2T"

I got confused because:
1. Why did the specs message go to DDR2 667 if my kingston and transcend are both DDR2 800?
2. Why does the specs message is still this: "Single channel, 64bit" if I already put 2 memories in it?

My expectation is this:
1.5 GB memory "DDR2 800, dual channel, 128bit, 2T"
Are my expectations impossible? Pls. help me guys. Remove my confusion please....

I almost forgot, Ive configured the BIOS (DRAM section). I set the timing mode to "AUTO".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:15 AM

In order to run dual channel and get the best performance you have to use matched modules from the same manufacturer. Modules from different manufacturers can be used, but the specifications must be exactly the same or there may be stability problems. A lot of the compatibility of modules in dual channel depends on the motherboard, some will allow you to use different speeds, but the motherboard will only run these as fast as the slower module. Some motherboards just don't work well with some modules, you can usually go to the web site of manufacturer of the RAM that you are interested in and use their scan or configuration tool to find the best modules for your motherboard.

You also need to have the modules populated properly, most motherboards have four expansion slots that are color coded in pair so that you know which slots to use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

Except for a few very recent boards, the DIMM size in each bank has to be the same capacity. You won't get dual-channel operation with one 512MB and one 1GB. Also, not all motherboards can run memory at full speed in every configuration. It may be that your board can only operate DDR2 800 at full speed when running in dual-channel mode with 2 identical DIMMs, one in the first bank of each channel. If there are such limitations, they are usually mentioned in the specifications for your board.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:06 AM

My apologies Platypus, I made an error in my observation of what you wrote. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 04 June 2008 - 12:35 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:06 PM

No worries, I thought there must have been some misunderstanding, cheers.

Edited by Platypus, 04 June 2008 - 04:49 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users