Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete Wipe Of Hdd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dbonniwell

dbonniwell

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:42 AM

I have a couple of SATA and the other type fo HDD on the bench
is there any way of getting all the data off the HDDs.
Have them at a condition like the day I bought them or the method to acheive that.
I understand reformat would not be enough. No data backup necessary. Complete clean if possible.
OK first install into computer then....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:52 AM

You will need a utility like Acrive Kill Disk, after you download it you will need to burn it to a CD. There are instructions at the web site. The CD-ROM will have to be set as the first device in the boot order so that the computer boots from the Kill Disk CD. Just follow the prompts and you'll be fine.

Short of physically destroying the hdd there are still ways to retrieve information from the hdd. There are people with extensive training that will still be able to retrieve information even after the hdd has been wiped.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:29 AM

I use Eraser, it's a free wipe program that I found in the "All other applications" section under the free programs thread. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 dbonniwell

dbonniwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:43 AM

I have these 3 Sata HDDs...and they probably have corrupted files that will not allow me to boot to windows and or even recovery/repair mode, I remember pulling them becaulse I did not know how to deal with it so I bought new ones

I just want to prepare them for the next time I install windows, I was thinking they had to be wiped clean. Now I am not sure what to do. I am not concerned about privacy or the data on there now. When I want privacy, I will take a drill and hammer to them. Physically they should be in very good shape, mentally??
what should I do?

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:59 AM

After you reinstall them, run Eraser or Killdisk to wipe them. I usually run Eraser over the HDD 2 or 3 times. I don't have anything important on my old drives, but it makes me feel better.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:55 AM

If you are not sure whether there are infections on these hdds the option to wipe the drives will overwrite all of the contents of the hdds. Formatting may not always remove infections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

I use dban to wipe drives.

DBAN is a means of ensuring due diligence in computer recycling,
a way of preventing identity theft if you want to sell a computer,
and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware.
DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#8 dbonniwell

dbonniwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:58 AM

Most sincere thanks for your help, I downloaded the wipe and am now wiping clean. It seems to be doing the trick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users