Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc For Dad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:38 PM

hello, am looking for a bit of quick help here :huh:
i'm buying my dad a new computer and here is what i have so far...

this is NOT a super high end machine and he'll never play crysis let alone know what that even is :huh: but he does like to mess around with the adobe master collection (video and images).

ONE THING HE IS REALLY ANAL ABOUT IS THAT THE COMPUTER IS QUIET! seriously, an extra 50 or 100 bucks to get it really quiet is money well spent in his mind.

HARD DRIVE
western digital caviar 500 gig $80 - 3 year warranty
OR
seagate barracuda 500 gig $80 - 5 year warranty

PROCESSOR
socket LGA775

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Socket LGA775, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache, 45nm (Retail Box) (BX80570E8200) $200 - 3 year warranty

VIDEO
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT?? 500mb, PCI-express
which 8800 card (GT, GTS or ULTRA) came out AFTER the others and turned out to be a better deal than the previous 8800's? i used to know but forgot :thumbsup:

MOTHERBOARD

which motherboard would be good and by which manufacturer?

RAM

i guess this depends on the motherboard but a good matched pair of 2gig ram would be my guess.

POWER SUPPLY
ATX something right??

MONITOR
will get a 22" wide one, any good recommendations?

CASE
ATX case and nothing special, will check with what they have in the store.

any help in one or all area's is much appreciated, thanks!!!

:clap:
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
Intel Core i7 920 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283
ASUS P6T WS PRO
12gigs of OCZ Gold XTC Triple Channel 6x2gig DDR3 1333MHz PC10600
XFX Nvidia GTX 260 core 216
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:42 PM

typically you would put this in the system building and upgrading section, not internal hardware, but whatever...

How much do you think its going to be overall in price? I mean, its hard to select a motherboard when you have no clue what price range you want...

Also, I have no preference for Hard Drives, so whichever you like better or think will be quiter will probably be better.

Unless he's going to run this thing a lot, you probably don't have to worry about sound that much....

And, in terms of processors, I would just go down to the Q6600 Quad core, and its 25$ less than what processor you have selected.

Any 8800 series card will work fine... I bet, but if you want to, just choose one that's fairly cheap, and its got enough reviews that say its not loud, if you like.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:14 AM

As Vaerli has suggested it would help to know what your budget is.

The amount of RAM that you install should depend of the operating system that you are going to use. If you use 32-bit Windows OS it will only recognize a little over 3GB of 4GB installed. I would think about installing 3GB of RAM with a 32-bit OS, 2x1GB and 2x512MB for dual channel. If you go with a 64-bit OS, then you will be able to utilize the full capacity of that 4GB.

The video card that you have listed requires a minimum of 400w @ 26amps, so there's your minimum out put for your PSU. Newegg has several pages of choices, for you build I like the Antec 650W PSU. Once again, we don't know if this is within you budget or not.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:02 AM

ONE THING HE IS REALLY ANAL ABOUT IS THAT THE COMPUTER IS QUIET! seriously, an extra 50 or 100 bucks to get it really quiet is money well spent in his mind.

Actually a good solid case should help with the noise problem. Mount all of the case fans with rubber grommets (O-rings) between the fans and the case. They also make a soundproofing material that you can attach to the back of the side panel that helps deaden the noise.
I believe you can get it at http://www.xoxide.com/

Edited by garmanma, 03 June 2008 - 08:02 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:18 AM

sorry to put this in the wrong section, my bad :thumbsup:

overall price is not a super issue but having said that he does not need the lastest components for his PC. i'm staying clear of any geforce 9800 or similar, and any mobo's from 2007 will most likely be ok.
so that should keep the price within reasonable limits.

going to run XP-pro 32bit and will most likely get 4gigs of ram from the start. ram seems to be fairly cheap these days :huh:

that power supply looks great and 650W will be perfect for this PC, thanks for that!!!

and good idea with the case suggestions and the rubber grommet too, good idea :huh:
thanks again!!
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
ASUS P6T WS PRO
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

#6 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:21 AM

ok, thanks for all your help, here is a suggestion for a final system.
do you see anything that will not work with each other or major errors?
ps - although new egg is awesome, i'll be picking up this stuff from a store in toronto in a few days...

OS - win XP pro 32-bit

MOTHERBOARD
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L Intel LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX - $100

PROCESSOR
socket LGA775
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Socket LGA775, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache, 45nm (Retail Box) (BX80570E8200) $200 - 3 year warranty

RAM
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel - $90

VIDEO
BFG
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512mb, PCI-express 2.0 x 16 - $200
hopefully this won't be too noisy :thumbsup:

HARD DRIVE
western digital caviar 500 gig SATA $80 - 3 year warranty
OR
seagate barracuda 500 gig SATA $80 - 5 year warranty

DVD/CD R
will get one in the store - $35

POWER SUPPLY
ATX - will ask in store - $100

CASE
ATX case - check in store - $100

what do you think? ok, not bad, total crap????
this should last my dad 2-3 years no worries :huh:
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
ASUS P6T WS PRO
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

#7 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Eh, you might not need XP pro, but whatever works...

I think that the processor in comparison to the motherboard is a bit expensive, but it'll work since its not going to be gaming intensive, I bet.

Also, I'd just get a DVD/CD burner combo because its so nice when you can burn your own stuff. I'm not sure if you meant to include that, but whatever, its a good thing to think about.

Ah, and 100$ for a case is a bit pricey... especially if they're not really big into the look of the case. I'm sure you can get one that you like for less than 75$.

Other than that stuff, I think it looks good, although do consider getting the quad core....

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users