Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suse Linux Enterprise Does Not Recognize Realtek Lan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vanlierdechad

vanlierdechad

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:54 PM

I have a Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) That SUSE Linux enterprise desktop 10.0 will not recognize at all. I had to go online using windows and download Linux drivers for it but now that I have them how do I install them? I open them up and its just code. I am new to Linux and do not know what I am doing so if someone could walk me though the steps I would be so thankful

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:38 PM

where did you download the drivers and what format are they in? you should be looking for something on the manufacturers page that mentions suse, if not you will want to read the readme that comes with the drivers, im guessing you have downloaded the source and you will need to build the module youself
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#3 vanlierdechad

vanlierdechad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:34 PM

This is the URL that I used to download the file http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...;Downloads=true. When I open the zip file there are several files in it. the file types are file, text document, H File, and C file a total of eight files. if you want to download the exact same file go to the link I just gave and scroll down to Unix (Linux) download the first one.

#4 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:20 PM

in that tarball there is a readme file, have you read this? its giving directions that should be fairly easy, keep in mind in that file where it references a # its meaning this is the command line (terminal)

so if you open terminal it will say somthing to the effect of: (the words themselves would be different, structure should be the same)

mckooter@myserver:> _
(the _ being where you can start typing)

in the readme the # is being used to indicate where you start typing : i.e.

from the instructions it says

# rmmod r8169
note: If the built-in driver cannot removed by rmmod, please edit /etc/modprobe.conf and comment 'alias eth0 r8169'. Then, remove it again or reboot your computer.

on your terminal you would see
mckooter@myserver:> rmmod r8169

so they are telling you to run those commands manually

sorry if my above is confusing i really tried to make it easy, but who knows
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users