Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acronis True Image 11

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

Novice here. Installed above product on my computer 2 mo. ago and did a complete image backup. And then after xp sp3 was released I did another complete backup. A few days ago I discovered the validate feature of Acronis (told you I was a novice) and checked both backup disks and the result was they were corrupted. I emailed acronis but it has been a few days with no reply and I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on why this has occurred. Should I disable my zone alarm antivirus and firewall? Thanks to anyone who can help. By the way sp3 downloaded without a hitch and has caused no problems.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

There could have been errors while creating the backup file
There could have been errors copying it to the CD/DVD/Removable media
There could have been degradation of the CD/DVD/Removable media

As with any backup/image program, it's no good unless you test the backup to make sure that it works. Even (IMO) the validate feature isn't sufficient if you're concerned about the ability to recover - you must try the restore to ensure that it works (But I'd run the validate feature before attempting to restore an image).

It's easiest to try the restore immediately after making the image - that way nothing has changed on the system - so if the restore works, you can just leave it there and continue working.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 djd1

djd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for the info. usasma. I will try running the backup to see if it "took". But in the event that it is corrupted what do you recommend I do. Would I be able to use system restore to return to normal? Sorry for dumb questions. Still learning.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:48 PM

If the addition of SP3 was two months ago System Restore usually won't go back that far.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 djd1

djd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:45 AM

Thanks dc3, the sp3 was installed 2 weeks ago. I guess my question is, why are all my backups corrupted and should I disable my antivirus and firewall while running true image home 11 build 8053? I have sent request to acronis a while back but no reply yet. I follow the backup wizard to a t but always corrupted. I have already completly uninstalled and re-downloaded new version. Same problem.

#6 melbb

melbb

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

I'm a novice, too, but I just last week used the trial version to clone my old drive which was getting too full and it worked perfectly. I also created a backup image which checked out fine with the validate feature.

One thing that I have heard, is that if you use DVDs to store an image, sometimes they can be corrupt or not restore properly. I think most people recommend using a backup external drive. What are you using?

Also, are you creating the image within windows or are you using the bootable CD? Some people seem to think that it is better to run acronis from the bootable CD, so if you didn't do that, you might want to try. If you got a downloadable version of acronis and don't have a bootable CD, you can create one using Acronis, from the tools menu. Just follow the prompts.

Other than that, maybe try doing a google search. I came across something recently about corrupt images, but can't really remember what the solutions were. I am not aware of firewalls and AV programs being a problem. I do know that Norton GOback is not compatible and has to be disabled when running a lot of Acronis functions.

Edited by melbb, 04 June 2008 - 02:43 PM.

#7 djd1

djd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:34 AM

Thanks for your answer melbb. I use dvd-r by sony. Also, I purchased the acronis true image home at a major computer chain store and upgraded to build 8053. I don't know if it's my age or what but I am becoming a slow study. Is a clone different from a full backup? Sorry for dumb questions but I just don't seem to understand as quickly as I used to. If you can help by walking me thru the process of backing up and restoring would appreciate it. Thanks for whatever help I can get.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:21 AM

Clone is a generic term for copying everything on the old drive and putting it back in exactly the same place on the new drive (this is essential for Windows to be able to boot) - it's also known as "imaging" the hard drive. In the newer Acronis programs the term "backup" is being used to specify both the backup process and the imaging process (which creates the clone).

In the Acronis Backup Wizard, when you select the backup type, you're making the choice between a clone/image (by selecting My Computer) or just a data backup. If you read the Description dialog box under the choices, you'll see which will image the hard drive and which won't.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 melbb

melbb

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:52 AM

I like to make a distinction between the words "clone" and "image", so that it is less confusing. In acronis, the function to clone (available under the disk utilities menu) refers to copying your hard drive to a new hard drive that will be bootable. It clones everything, operating system, all data, applications, settings. I think of imaging (backup, available under the backup and restore menu) as creating a file (that you store on DVDs or an external backup drive) that you can use to restore files on your computer. The image can be an image of your data only, application settings or your entire hard drive.

So, in my case, I had a hard drive that was working perfectly fine, but was getting too full. So I bought a new hard drive and cloned the old one to it. It works as if I never switched drives. My old drive will now be reformated and used as a backup. So at this point, I never need to use the clone feature. Now I would want to use the backup feature to store images in a safe place (an external drive) in case the drive crashes for some reason. If I backup the entire drive, the image will include the operating system. So if my drive crashed, I could buy a new one and restore my stored image to the new drive and pick up as if nothing had happened. By having this image, you could also selectively restore specific files or folders if you, for example, accidentally permanently deleted a file.

I hope that makes thing a little more clear. There are a lot of things/other functions I don't know about acronis. I don't have a lot of time to research it. Too busy following my toddler around!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users