Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Capicom Who Really Needs It?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

Hi

Just to get the facts straight, I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 on a Pentium III PC. My internet connection is DSL provided by Verizon. NO, that's NOT the problem I am writing about...but it COULD be the subject of a whole different topic.

The reason I am submitting this post is that recently Windows Automatic Updates wanted me to download and install a Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906).

I have NO IDEA what CAPICOM is, IF it is on my machine and most importantly....is it something that I need??? I believe that Auto Updates is suggesting this security update because capicom.dll IS in my \WINDOWS\system32 folder.....how it got there, I have no idea. If it is necessary, again, no idea.

Can someone advise me on this issue please? I don't want to install some security update that my system doesn't need or use.

Thanks for reading my post....please help me find the answer to this!!

:thumbsup:

John
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hello,

You may find this link of some use http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms995332.aspx I would keep it installed and update it.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

TO: nigglenush85

Thanks for replying Alan!! I actually had found that sight and read as much of it as I could make sinese of......it didn't REALLY answer my question re: WHO ACTUALLY NEEDS CAPICOM? However, You are most likely correct about keeping it installed and doing the update thing....

Thanks again, bro :thumbsup:
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

Basically Capicom allows digital certificates to be created for certain applications. This is useful for example if you suspect a application you downloaded has been altered or tampered with in any way you can compare the developer(s) certificate with the one you have. If they do not match then the program has been altered.

It is just an added layer of security, however running a virtual sandbox to test an application would be a lot easier.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users