Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

Hello BC!
My mom needs a new hard drive. Before she makes the purchase, however, I would like to know if I can COPY & REPLACE a hard drive freely and safely. I ask this because I would like to save her $20 by purchasing an OEM drive. I understand this will require the use of imaging software, so in those terms, I want to be able to:
1. Make an image and put it on external media
2. Take out the old hard drive
3. Install the new OEM hard drive using the old hard drive's screws and interfaces
4. Place the old hard drive's image on the new hard drive

I do know that Acronis does offer a trial version of True Image, and I would be interested in hearing if this is a good option and if it is as safe as the retail version.
Thanks!

-Glen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First question: Laptop or desktop (I always think "desktop" and that has proven embarassing on occasion).

Your premises seem sound...since you mentioned Acronis (well-respected), take a look at this: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/migrateeasy/

As you stated, I believe that the same thing can be accomplished by making an image of the old drive...and then installing that on the new drive.

Unfortunately, I don't use Acronis True Image, so I cannot give the specifics of every step.

I have done this with Powerquest (now owned by Symantec) products which create images of any given partition...and the only thing that I thought was slightly irritating was that I had to edit the boot.ini file. But that's using software which is now 6 years old, so I expect slight bumps :flowers:.

Hold on for some inputs from some of our Acronis users out there...

And, yes...OEM hard drives are cheaper than retail drives...I've never figured out why. My suggestion would be to not buy hard drives locally unless they are in line with those that are available online at vendors like www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com .

The only problem that I see...is that my images tend to be very large (20GB) and I would not think of putting them on CD/DVD, but rather just another hard drive. Others probably prefer otherwise.

Louis

#3 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:38 PM

Thank you for your reply, Louis!
Yes, it is going to be a desktop hard drive upgrade. And, I did forget that the image is going to be rather large... I think she has a 40GB hard drive. I find myself, therefore, befuddled as to how I'm going to accomplish the task. It may prove worth it to spend the extra $20 to get a retail drive and make it a slave.

We'll just have to wait and see what the rest of the BC community has to say :thumbsup:

-Glen

EDIT: I've been reading about installing a second drive, and it has come to my attention how the IDE cables work. I believe one connects to the IDE header on the motherboard, and then one for the Master and one for the Slave. If this is so, it should not be an issue to find another IDE header to plug in the second hard drive because I should be able to scrounge up enough hard drive screws. Correct any mistakes in this little edit, if you will.

Edited by Glunn11, 02 June 2008 - 08:44 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:59 PM

The Manufacturer support and warranty periods are typically different between OEM and retail drives. If either the original or new drive (or both) are Seagate or Maxtor, you would be entitled to download and use Seagate DiskWizard software, which provides you with Acronis drive migration and imaging software, at no charge.

You can duplicate the exisiting drive onto a new drive, either having DiskWizard simply installed onto the original drive, or then from within DiskWizard creating a bootable recovery CD, and using that to transfer an image of the old drive onto the new one.

If you can get away without needing the boot CD, you should be able to temporarily connect the new drive in place of an existing IDE CD/DVD drive, and do the transfer, then reconnect with the new hard drive in place of the original. This will involve changing the jumper settings on the new drive (there will be a diagram either on the drive or on the drive manufacturer's website), but you won't need an extra IDE cable.

If the motherboard does have a second IDE channel (most older ones did) and you have available a second IDE data cable, you could have both drives operating in the system together that way.

Some older motherboards have a BIOS issue where they don't operate correctly with a hard drive over 132GB capacity, and may require a BIOS update to overcome this, or if no update is available, use of a PCI drive controller board is advisable. If the existing hard drive is already larger than 132GB, then this probably is not an issue.

Edited by Platypus, 02 June 2008 - 09:59 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:41 AM

Thanks Platypus! Your input has helped us quite a bit.
We intend on taking out the ZIP drive and using its slot, and either buying an external ZIP or imaging the old hard disk and making the new one the master, and then replacing it fully as first intended.
I'll be sure to ask if I have any other questions.
:thumbsup:

-Glen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users