Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Avg Free Banner (version 493) Update?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

I have (and am sticking with) AVG 7.5 A/V Free for as long as possible (hopefully the 12/31/08 date will hold!), but I noticed this update today:

AVG Free Banner (Version 493)

What is this? I'm assuming that it has something to do with either the "ad" for 8.0 that is part of the Control Center panel and/or a new popup ad that will start nagging even more. (I seem to remember an older version of this being part of a past update months ago.) Or maybe it's just an updated "ad" with the new date?

I didn't choose to update it yet, and now my systray icon is gray and it says that it's a Priority Update that is ready to be and should be updated. Hmmm...

Thoughts?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

UPDATE: Well, whatever it is, it looks like you have to download/install it if you want to get the virus definitions, so I did so. No issues. Just was wondering what that was exactly...

Edited by bloomcounty, 02 June 2008 - 06:31 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users