Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Microsoft Office 2003

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wanton86

Wanton86

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

I'm trying to uninstall my old office (Microsoft 2003), but I don't have the CD anymore. It keeps telling me that I need the CD to do anything. I found this program on Microsoft webpage: "Windows Install Cleanup", but that didn't remove it from my computer. All the programs are still there, but I can't even open them anymore. What do I do?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:27 PM

Hi Wanton86
Did you use the add/remove to uninstall it? If you did that allready,
Try Uninstalling it using the Registry.
Go to Start>Run> type in "regedit"(without the quotes)
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Right click on the the Uninstall key and select Export a box should appear save it somewhere you know. You have just Backed Up your registry by clicking the Export. Rember Before editing ot messing around with the Registry please back it up.
Now find your Microsoft2003 under Uninstall, and right click on it and press delete. I am not sure what is the exact name of the program because I don't use Microsoft 2003, I think tis called Microsoft 2003 Preium ot something like that.
Any help with the Registry please refer to this tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/manually-remove-programs-from-add-remove-programs/

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 Wanton86

Wanton86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

Hi,

I tried using add/remove, but it still required the CD with the .msi file, which I don't have.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:37 PM

Did you try uninstalling it using the registry I mentioned above?
Did that work?

Exteremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 Wanton86

Wanton86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:16 AM

Hi,

I was unable to find anything related to MS office 2003 under the tree you had me look under.

#6 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:21 AM

Try this, see if it helps;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#7 Wanton86

Wanton86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:45 PM

Adam, I used that already. It didn't do anything but remove the registry settings and values associated with MS Office, which is worse than my situation before. The programs are still there in their respective MS Office folders. They no longer appear in the add/remove programs list as well.

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

Hi Wanton86,
This may help or not but its worth a try.
Reboot in safe mode. A tutorial on Safe mode
Once in safe mode navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
I am not sure if that is where all your Microsoft 2003 applications are installed/located, if that is then delete that whole folder and that will uninstall it. Now that all your old Microsoft office is deleted you can install your new one.
Try that and tell me if it woks or not.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 03 June 2008 - 04:04 PM.

#9 Wanton86

Wanton86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hi,

I did so as you said. However, aren't there other files that were installed that aren't located in this folder? Aren't there other registry values and files that weren't removed completely either?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users