Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will No Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 texaschic

texaschic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hi. New at this so please bear with me. I was given a computer. It is a HP Pavilion 533W with Windows XP on it. I planned to set it up in my sons room. The first day I had it it booted fine. Then I got it home to set it up and now it will no boot up. It begins the boot up process then just shuts down before windows comes up on it. I know it is not the internal power supply because I removed that and tested it. What else could cause the computer to shut dow on it's own? Any help would be appreciated and if you need any more info on the puter, please let me know.

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hello.

First off, can you boot into Safe Mode?

Looks like we will might need to reinstall Windows. Do you have or were you given any CDs with the computer to do this?

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 texaschic

texaschic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

when I try to boot in safe mode it does the same thing. I do have the XP CD and was actually going to reinstall windows, but the cd is now stuck in the cd drive and still have the same problem. I thought that I could reboot using the CD, but it never gives me the option.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:06 PM

When acquiring a system from another person...I always suggest that the first/best thing to do is to delete anything that was on previously...and do a clean install.

That's what I suggest to you.

As for your comment about a CD being "stuck", I guess I don't understand what you are saying.

Before you attempt a clean install, please be sure that you have the MS activation code which applies to the system.

As for what can cause a system to shutdown...any number of things can fill that role, with the four most conspicuous hardware candidates being the motherboard, the power supply, the CPU, and the hard drive.

Then there is malware, corrupted key system files, and corrupted drivers.

Weak or bad CMOS batteries also make the system do strange things.

You say "shut down"...does the system currently boot at all? If so, how far?

You mention safe mode, can you still access safe mode?

Can you get into the BIOS?

How to get into your computer's BIOS - http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-...enter-BIOS.html

Louis

#5 texaschic

texaschic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

thanks Louis. I will check out the bios link.

The system will get to the point where it starts listing the HKey stuff, then it will just shut down.

I mean by the cd being stuck in there, because the system will not stay on long enough to open the cd rom.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

If it booted up fine and then didn't after moving it I would open the case and check all of the connections, reseat the RAM and other pug in cards, check all of the connections from the PSU, check all of your IDE connections. Before you do this though, be sure that the computer is unplugged, and tough the metal of the inner case to discharge any potential electrostatic discharges.

Can you get into the BIOS? If you can make sure that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order. If it is and will not boot from the CD then you most likely have a hardware issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users