Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer freezing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lynnuk

lynnuk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:09 AM

can some 1 help, my computer keeps has 2 sticks of ram a 128 and 64 but my pc is only showing 57ram, its windows 98 still going good but i have swaped the ram but no difference

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:39 AM

I can think of a couple of things -

First, do you have a motherboard book that tells you how much RAM and what configuration is allowed? I have an ancient computer with both DIMM and SIMM slots and the DIMMs won't take anything bigger than a 64 meg chip. And sometimes, the RAM has to be in a particular configuration to work.

Second, on older systems, you need to go into the BIOS and look at the amount of RAM you have. If it shows the new RAM, you need to exit and save. Newer systems just find the RAM. Older ones need a little help.

There may be other issues I don't have experience with.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:27 PM

What function do you use to see the 57MB Ram?
If your PC has an onboard Display Adaptor this will take some of your RAM to act as video memory. How much it takes is set in the BIOS - its usually 4, 8, 16, 32 or 64MB. Check what that is set to.
How you end up with an odd number I don't know. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 lynnuk

lynnuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:55 AM

thx guys will give them ago never thought of looking in the bios settings,lol went into the computer properties to see the ram

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:36 AM

lynnuk - what you were doing is quite correct, if you click Start then right click on My Computer and select Properties to bring up the System Properties window the General tab (the one it opens to) will show you how much RAM Windows is seeing in the system.
If that's where you are seeing 57MB there is something strange going on.
Let us know what you find in the BIOS.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 lynnuk

lynnuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:12 PM

well friends, i was 56 ram in the system properities in bios,,,it has 65 ram so were does that leave me...im cracking up

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

Ok - This is what your computer is doing:
It detects 65536kB of memory in BIOS. This is in fact 64MB of RAM due to the fact that 1MB=1024kB.
So you have 64MB of RAM and the computer partitions off 8MB to use as video memory so when Windows loads it sees 64-8=56MB of RAM in the system.

If this is the same whether you have a 64MB stick or a 128MB stick or both in the machine I think it must be a limitation of your motherboard. If you can find your motherboard manual it will explain how to add more memory. Failing that if you can identify a manufacturers name and model number stencilled on the motherboard we can search for the specs for you. If you can't find either let us know.

I am guessing your motherboard has a limit of 64MB in each slot and probably wants matching pairs, so if you can add another 64MB stick (preferably of identical type) your system should then have 128MB all up (that would be 120MB in System Properties). If you have more slots you can add more 64MB sticks but again, I think, in pairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users