Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Sp1 Install, I Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

Hey everyone,

My father has recently been trying to install Vista's Service Pack 1, with no success of course. Here is the scenario: It starts up and gets to 69% of step 3/3 and than it freezes. Therefore having to restart the computer and it starts all over again and does the same thing, forcing me to do a system restore. On rare occasions after a few restarts at 69%, it gets to 100% of 3/3 and than indicates the message: Service Pack failed to install, something like that. I'm quite positive that's just because it froze at 69% on the previous attempt and obviously missed out on files.

I've tried almost everything I could think of. Disabling the Firewall/Antivirus from booting through msconfig, still did not help the issue. I tried doing the update through safe Mode, still no help
His laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A200-AH6. He is running Vista Home Premium

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

~RB

Edited by Roadblock, 02 June 2008 - 01:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

Just wondering whether your father downloaded the SP1 update directly from Microsoft. Also, were the latest Vista updates already installed before installing SP1?

Please see if the following two links help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366
http://www.winvistaclub.com/t67.html

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

Here's a link to the "3 of 3" issue resolution that Microsoft has posted: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Roadblock

Roadblock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:00 AM

Yeah I've read all of those, tried them all. Still no hope =(. Waited for a full week now for a response from a Microsoft Rep. Gotta love customer support at MS :D
He download it Via Automatic Updates through Windows. I also downloaded a copy from the microsoft site, which also froze at 69% of 3/3

Thanks for all the suggestions

Edited by Roadblock, 03 June 2008 - 12:01 AM.

#5 D86

D86

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

I just installed the pack by going to that application on a CDR. installed it, then i restarted my windows with the disc still in the drive and then it configured and updated all 3 steps, then did it again after saying shutdown, and waited! eventually it competed then restarted and reinstalled again. then finished and when i clicked on my user account it opened windows with a message saying it has successfully installed click finish. I was going to restart myself but i ended up letting it install by itself and waited whilst watching a movie and it eventually finished. this should help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users