Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Eagames And Vista Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Squirrelboy

Squirrelboy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

I'm having trouble with every single game made by EA games that seem to be made before the release of Microsoft Vista. What happens is that the games open and then minimize down to the left and crash. I have tried loading the games in compatibility modes for both Windows XP SP2 as well as Windows 2000, and had success once after a 15 minute load time with the Windows 2000 compatibility mode. But none of the other games have had success, and I've been trying to download the game updates from the EA games websites themselves. The specific games are:

Battlefield 2
Command and Conquer: Generals
Battlefield Vietnam
and The Sims Complete Collection (NOT Sims2)

All of these games do the exact same thing and were fine on the old computers running xp

I've recently updated all of my drivers etc. and have attempted to run the games with the anti-virus and firewall off, but alas, nothing.

Before I uninstall each game and reinstall, how should I go about setting the install up so that this works? And does anyone else have this problem?????

My computer specs are:

Windows Vista Home Premium Edition SP1
AMD Athlon™ 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.3GHz
2.00 GB Ram
32-bit OS

If anyone can help, please let me know.
Thanks,

SB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

I'm running vista, and I've played all those games except The Sims, and they work fine. Have you tried right clicking on the game icon and choosing to run as administrator?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

Hi, I would try and run the games in compatibility mode, right click on the game short cut .exe>properties>compatibility>choose XP SP2 and it might help.
MCP
MSDST

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:22 AM

choose XP SP2 and it might help.

Except that he already said he tried that. :thumbsup:

What do you have for a video card?

#5 Squirrelboy

Squirrelboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

What do you have for a video card?

Haven't tried running as Admin..

video card is: NVidia GeForce 8500 GT

Tried with setting for Admin All Users along with compatibility for xp sp2 - that worked for all but bf2, which required a patch update from the EAgames site.

thanks for the help :)

Edited by Squirrelboy, 03 June 2008 - 02:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users