Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 josh05

josh05

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:01 AM

I have a computer that takes around ten minutes after switching
the power on for it to start. It had happened like this sometimes back but when I ran adware and removed some spyware and was ok but now I have run adware and removed some spywares ,run updated norton but the problem doesnt look like going away although the time it takes has reduced by around half.What could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:45 PM

Dear Josh,

Could be a bunch of things. When is he last time you did a hard drive defrag? Also, check your start up folder and delete anything you don't want to start up. Do you have a lot of desktop icons?

Remember Windows has to check every program, short cut, folder, disc's and etc. before it starts up. If you have a lot of information on your hard drive the longer it takes. Short cuts make it worse. Did you adjust or delete any registry files?

Still there are a lot of other potential problems.

Let us know,

Junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 josh05

josh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:31 AM

the thing is when I switch the power button on,the power led light blinks once but the computer dont start, if try to switch it again nothing happens untill after seven or so minutes when it powers up.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:09 AM

Have you ever defraged? If not I'd try that, along with running scan disk and cleaning out your cache. If you have never done so. It sure can't hurt. It and scan disk is something that should be done regularly anyways. I try to run both around once a week.

The Importance of Disk Defragmention

Defrag >
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

Scan Disk >

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scan Disk

Cleaning out your Cache >

Internet Explorer Toolbar > Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files > Delete History > Delete Cookies

These are quick and easy fixes. Try them first. If you have never done any of them, it should help some.

A Defrag done for the first time could take long while. Be prepared. :thumbsup:

Defrag and Scan Disk are best done in Safe Mode.

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode

Also, check your start up folder and delete anything you don't want to start up.

Be careful doing so! There are entries in there that should be left in place. The best way to check on what you have in your Startup is by going through your list and checking for references in---> Bleeping Computer's Startup Database

Edited by scarlett, 05 April 2005 - 10:20 AM.

Posted Image

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:00 PM

Outstanding, Scarlett! Very clear instructions as well as very easy.
I sure hope Josh follows your directions carefully. Great advice!

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:36 PM

Can you give us whatever information you have about your system including its age? From your description of the problem it sounds to me like its taking some minutes before it even begins to load windows. Is that correct?
What is the first thing you see on your screen and how long after switching on does this appear?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:00 PM

Dear Josh,

With the new information you gave you seem to have a hardware problem. What does the screen say once you start the computer?

Did you build the computer? If so, this could be a connection problem with the hard drive. Or your power supply is dying.

Do you smoke around the computer? The reason I ask is that your connections could be dirty.

How old is the computer?

On a side note, my dry cleaner's computer went down. Knowing that I worked avionics, he asked me what could be the problem? He thought it was the power supply going out and I agreed.

But I asked him when was the last time he cleaned his computer? He never has in the 5 years he owned it. I said before buying a new power supply, clean the computer using Isopropanol alcohol and compressed air. Re-seat all the components and see.

The next time I saw him, I asked what the problem was. He said I was right, it was a cleaning issue. Never got any free dry cleaning out of it though.

It could be that easy.

Let us know,

Junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#8 josh05

josh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:30 AM

thanks
I did a system maintenance not a long time ago but for sure Iam going to defrag and scandisk.Its a compaq deskpro 20gb hdd 128 mb ram.
I believe its a hardware problem. When it starts to boot nothing unusual or message is noticed except the normal bios messages and works fine.If you shutdown after it had been working for quite a while and after a short while switch it on again it will start immidietly without any problem otherwise if you took long before switching on it will go through the same problem

#9 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:04 PM

Dear Josh,

It sounds like a hard drive problem but may not be mechanical.

How old is the computer or hard drive?

Let us know if anything changes after the defrag or if the scandisk picks up something.

Thanks,

Junkdk
Your Hardware Guide.

#10 josh05

josh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:05 AM

Hi there,
I left it to scandisk and defragment overnight and in the morning I cleaned it by blowing off the dust and made sure all internal cables are firm and it did improve.Iam switching on and it boots immidietly.I will monitor it and if I get anything unusual I will do post it.
Thanks for support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users