Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting/compressing .mov Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CommMajor101

CommMajor101

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

Hello everyone,
I just want to say first that I love this forum. It's a one stop shop for ALL computer issues and that's great!

Ok my situation is this:
I downloaded some videos from my camera. They downloaded as .mov files. One file was too large to email (from both Hotmail and Yahoo! mail). My first question is, how can I compress this file? Second (and this is entirely separate from the compression) I want to make a copy of those files and then convert them to different formats. How do I convert these videos into different formats? I've downloaded and tried Rad Tools and Microsoft Converter (or something like that) and neither have worked. I've also tried Movie maker, but those files aren't able to be attached to emails.

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Edited by CommMajor101, 02 June 2008 - 09:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

Converting? I use WinAVI turns basically anything into an AVI which is smaller than most and my burner likes them. compressing? you can always use WinRAR, WinZip or 7zip. Winrar will let you break it up into seperate .rar's to make sending them easier. Gmail has a larger upload limit than the rest. I "think" its 10 megs but it would probably be just as easy to upload to rapidshare or megaupload and send someone the link to them. I "think" that Gmail (google mail) is open now but if it isn't then just PM me your email and i'll send you an invite. got plenty.

#3 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:25 PM

smurfgod,
thanks for your reply. avi files can't be attached to emails though (i tried about a million times with both hotmail and yahoo). hotmail and yahoo also have the 10 megs that google does, but my file is bigger then that. any program i can use that won't turn it into an avi file?

#4 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:23 AM

Video and audio files are usually in a compressed format, so compressing won't do you much good.
You really might want to upload it to MediaFire or EatLime to share it with your friends and family.
As for converting formats, SUPER is the best one I'm ever used before, whether it compares to free or paid versions.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#5 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the help!

#6 crawanned

crawanned

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:13 AM

There are three methods to compress a large MOV file:

Method one: Convert MOV to H.264 MP4
Method two: Reduce MOV Frame Size
Method three: Decrease MOV Bitrate

Personally recommend one guide and a software that can compress with the above methods.

The guide is named How to Compress MOV Files. The guide also helps you convert MOV to other video or audio formats.

The software is HandBrake. But HandBrake is so comprehensive that it requires some skills and knowledges to compress MOV files. Besides, HandBreak doesn't support MOV as an output format

#7 holuu

holuu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:12 PM

I don't vote for handbrake. I got several AVI movies before and convert them

to MOV with it. After conversion, I found some parts of the movie are missing. It a 2-hour movie, but the converted video remain half. It drove me mad.

#8 BakerMelissa

BakerMelissa

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

Convert.files.

Online Video Converter. 

I often use these two free applications to convert video files. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users