Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backdoor.trojan Misery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 schnub

schnub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

So I recently came under attack from a backdoor.trojan, and had to pay the company that runs my antivirus program (Symantec) $100 to fix it. (Maybe to some this might not seem like much, but I'm still a student, without a job) I'm not really sure how I got it, but I have a strong suspicion it might be from downloading a video file, but I'm not sure. Is it actually possible to get this virus from downloading files? If not, then how exactly does it get onto a computer? Also, I read some articles about how it gives the attacker access to your computer, but what I want to know is how exactly does it work, is it only when your computer is on that the attacker is able to look through your private files, history, etc. or is it once you have the virus, does it make a copy of all the things on your computer for the attacker to look through? Lastly, was there some easier/cheaper way to take care of it? I was talking to a live assistant over at Symantec, and they just said the best option is to let them take care of it since they have to deal with the computer's registry keys or something, but that could've been just a ploy to make money. I'm really not computer-literate, if you haven't guess already, so your help would be appreciated, especially if it's not too cluttered with technical jargon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:36 AM

welcome to Bleepingcomputer

you might want to read this link, it might have saved you 100$

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users