Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Spyware - Malware Tools

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dutch70

Dutch70

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:49 AM

Vista Home Premium - SP1 - 32bit,

I use firefox and sometimes IE7

Hi, I have read all about the the free tools on here, but as some products serve different purposes and use resources differently, I was hoping someone more knowledgeable and experienced would help me build a good layer of protection to compliment what I already have. Which is.....

Mcafee anti virus, firewall, and antispyware...... and Windows Defender.

Would Ad-Aware, and spybot without the tea timer be all that is necessary, and what about A-squared, seems to be one to have as well as spyware blaster....just not sure what holes are filled there.

This part is a lot more fun than dealing with the malware....TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:15 AM

Hello,

Have a look at this page http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Wind...lls_.2F_IDS.27s
Typically you should have...

one firewall
one antivirus
one or two anti spyware products
Regards,

Alan.

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

You should also have at least one real time protection such as SpywareTerminator/spybot S&D with tea timer.
I would install Superantispyware rather than ad aware or spybot.
I suggust installing superantispyware and spyware terminator in addition to what you have allready.
Try not to install to much protection because it slows down your computer espically if your computer is allready slow.
1 firewall, 1 or 2 antispyware programs,1 realtime protection and 1 anti-virus program.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 Dutch70

Dutch70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

Hello,

Have a look at this page http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Wind...lls_.2F_IDS.27s
Typically you should have...

one firewall
one antivirus
one or two anti spyware products

Thanks for the link...it is now in my favorites, but will be a a new study in itself.

Hi,

You should also have at least one real time protection such as SpywareTerminator/spybot S&D with tea timer.
I would install Superantispyware rather than ad aware or spybot.
I suggust installing superantispyware and spyware terminator in addition to what you have allready.
Try not to install to much protection because it slows down your computer espically if your computer is allready slow.
1 firewall, 1 or 2 antispyware programs,1 realtime protection and 1 anti-virus program.

Regards,
Extremeboy

1 Firewall - McAfee
1 Anti-Virus - McAfee
2 Antispyware programs - McAfee + Windows Defender(includes real time protection) so I dont need the tea timer. unless I disable or uninstall WD,

So I guess all I really need is a scanner to use once in a while that doesnt hog resources....I Like SAS, I just dont know why it isnt really one of the
ones you see recommended very often. Although A-squared is. I'll have to look into that.

Thank You. :thumbsup:

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

No problem, glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 rtrt2889

rtrt2889

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

On the same topic. I use:
- Spybot S&D
- AVG 8
- Ad Aware
- COMODO

Is that good enough?

-Thanks

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

On the same topic. I use:
- Spybot S&D
- AVG 8
- Ad Aware
- COMODO
Is that good enough?

Yes that's good enough. you have 1 anti-virus program,1 firewall, 1-2 anti-spyware programs
I would suggust installing Superantispyware and take out ad-aware or spybot, if you have tea-timer enabled for spybot than don't remove it because it provides a real time protection. Superantispyware's database is huge.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,648 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:27 AM

Don't forget to add SpywareBlaster. It doesn't take up resources since it doesn't run in the background but still is a very effective preventative program. That, along with the programs you already have installed should be fine. Especially if you practice safe/safer surfing habits. Prevention is so much easier than trying to cure after the fact.

As a Vista user, be sure to leaver UAC enabled. It may be annoying but helps a lot in keeping your PC infection free. Vista doesn't need as much armor compared to earlier OS's. Keep in mind that many of the recommendations on this site (and many others) were written a few years ago when XP was fairly new and 98 was still commonly used. Also the anti-virus companies didn't do much with infections that weren't worms or true viruses. A lot has changed since then. So if you concentrate on preventing infections you don't really need all those protection modules (like TeaTimer) that come with anti-spyware. With McAfee, WD and your firewall you should have enough protection running in the background and just use the other programs for their scanners to check that you are still infection free.

So I wouldn't worry about A Squared. SuperAntiSpyware as a supplement to WD should be enough. If, however, you engage in high risk surfing, you can install as many scanners as you like such as former stalwarts Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware. These last two are included since they are still of the very few completely free anti-spyware applications. But since their latest versions can be unstable, especially on older systems, you can do without them as well. If SAS and your other apps don't find an infection, you either aren't infected or you need help with manual removal. In the latter case is what BC forums are for.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users