Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Folder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 C-info

C-info

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:35 AM

I have a laptop with Vista on it. I had recently deleted a picture folder to the recycle bin. A few days later I was asked to send a picture via email and realized I had put the picture folder in recycle bin but had not permanently cleaned the recycle bin so I went in and restored the folder to my desktop. Now I can not get the folder to move to My Documents or even delete it. A window pops up telling the folder can not be deleted because it is still open I another program. All I have done is open it thru AOL to attach the picture. I cannot figure out what other program it would be open in.
Can someone give me any ideas on deleting this folder please?

Thanks- : :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 78651214

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:57 AM

Download & Install Unlocker: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ Once installed, right click that folder and click Unlock and follow the messages that pop up. You may also want to run CCleaner to remove temporary files.

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

There may be some "markers" (ie: temp files) that make Windows think that the folder is in use. It's a little stange that this happens while in the recycle bin....unless it's your antivirus program locking the folder for scanning?

I would try the following:

- reboot & try moving the folder again. If that doesn't work...
- delete all your temp files using CCleaner
- make sure the folder isn't locked by your security software. There should be an option to disable realtime protection at Windows Startup. Try doing that, reboot and try moving the folder again.
- try moving it in Safe Mode

If all the above fails, then try 78651214's suggestion and use the Unlocker program that he recommends.

Please post back the results.

#4 C-info

C-info
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

I installed the unlocker and removed the folder and then ran the CCleaner and after restarting my computer it seems that it is gone. Thanks so much !!!

#5 C-info

C-info
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:58 PM

Ok I did the deleting of the folder like mentioned above. Since then I cannot get my aol to open. I also downloaded the "avast" antivirus program and I thought because of the icon it has sitting on my taskbar is always turning it was causing my computer to run slow. So I try to uninstall it but it want let me me. It tells me that "a setiface error has ocurred;2 try to reinstall. So I tried using the setup I downloaded the first time to reinstall but no luck so I went online thru Internet Explorer and redownloaded this program again and when I tried to reinstall it from the new icon it read the same thing. Aol had a window that open telling me that some file is missing so I reinstalled it, now I have a few that opens telling me some of the files are not compatible with vista.

Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users