Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Knoppix

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:57 AM

Hi Everyone

Can anyone if it's possible to use the Knoppix Live CD to save files and folers to a CD or DVD Burner from a Windows XP OS that cannot be booted.

The computer boots OK using the Live CD and all the files and folders are there to be seen. Just haven't got a clue how to copy them over to a DVD or CD.

Following my instincts more than anything, I right clicked the file. selected Copy To, then root folder - cdrom

Am I on the right track? I would be grateful for any help here. Thanks.

Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:06 AM

Do you know why the Win XP won't boot up? Corrupted OS?

Following my instincts more than anything, I right clicked the file. selected Copy To, then root folder - cdrom

And what was the result of this action? The files did not copy to CD?
What error message if any did you see?
Or did it not just copy the files....?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:31 AM

Hi Koan Yore

The simple answer is yes. The complicated answer is that the OS was installed using Restore Disks, and the missing files needed to boot with cannot be repaired as it can with the full versions. So what we need to do is rescue as many files and folders as possible before reinstalling with the Restore Disks again. Thanks for coming to my aid.

Tony

#4 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:35 AM

Sorry Koan Yore

Didn't notice there was more to your post.

I did not attempt to go any further than cdrom because I was not sure what to do from there on.

Tony

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:49 AM

Hey Tony,

Can you copy thoses files to a CD?
Have you tried with the Knoppix?

And what was the result of this action? The files did not copy to CD?
What error message if any did you see?
Or did it not just copy the files....?

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:59 AM

Having reached cdrom it leads you to KNOPPIX or boot, I think, and these lead you to somewhere else and I just didn't have a clue which way to go.

With XP it's as simple as right clicking - send to - CD-ROM - and then just clicking on write these files to CD

Tony

#7 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:14 AM

This Knoppix looks like a great tool to have and I wouldn't mind having it as an installed OS.

However, I've only had it for a few days and not sure about using it yet. I have searched the help files but can find no mention of copying to CD.

Nonetheless, I was so impressed with it that I have purchased Linspire as a fully installable OS. But I've got a lot to learn about using Linux never having even seen it before.

Tony

#8 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:47 AM

Hi All

Just to let you all know, the problems solved. I've been having a mess about with Knoppix and accidently stumbled onto the right thing to do. I found out that I was nowhere near being in the right place for copy files to the CD.

Instead of going to 'Copy To' I should have been going to 'Actions' then to create data CD. Thanks a lot anyway.

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users