Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sender's Ip Adress

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:36 PM

Maybe some of you have suffered recieving bullying e-mails.
My family (my cousins and me) are gathering funds for a non-profitable organization for poor people, and amidst the flow of e-mails we recently got an e-mail very offensive. As for this is a good cause, I took special attention to it, and tried to find out who was this annoying sender.

As some of you may know, each e-mail has information of the route it took from sender to reciever. But gmail took special care in this point, and as far as I know, it hides this information (generally, you can look at it going to the menu next to reply and in the option show original).

So, i wanted to know if is there a possible way to find this information from a gmail account. I know this sounds really fishy (some of you could think i want to use this information for not very honest means), but i want to know who's the person opposing this "noble" action we're trying to pull.

I hope i'm not giving the wrong impression, as for my intentions are not bad. I also hope i am not crossing a line i haven't yet noticed, so I'm open to recieving notifications and corrections in my doing.
Thanks in advance
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

I could not easily find the E-mail header using Google on-line, but have determined that you can read it once it is downloaded as POP E-mail in Thunderbird (I assume that this is possible in Outlook Express as well).

My advice in this matter is not to pursue it further, unless the contents of the E-mail appear threatening or violating the law, in which case I would simply turn the matter over to the police. The best way to handle merely offensive, flaming E-mails is to ignore them, since senders thrive on recognition and controversy.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 02 June 2008 - 05:25 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 petocities

petocities
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

After giving it some thought, I came to the same conclusion.
Thanks a lot for the advice, still I will not try to look further (althoug, i have to ecognize it was fun playing detective for a while, hehe)
Cheers to all
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users