Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Virus Win32/polycrypt?,

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 theadz

theadz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:42 PM

Hi everyone,

Like I'm sure everyone feels, I've only found this forum when I've hit trouble and I'm very glad/impressed it exists.

I've had the SpyMaxx virus on my computer for 3 days and I'm really struggling to get rid of it, my computer is virtually crippled and I'm writing this on my girlfriend's work laptop.

The virus locks me out of the taskmanager and registry, but I've found little executables to help temporarily solve these problems.
The processes 20663.exe, spools.exe, spoolsv.exe and uTorrent.exe seem to pop up all the time.

I've purchased AVG 8.0 and installed it on my computer, but it always seems to find hidden drivers and whatnot, but not the actual viruses. I've run it a couple of times without rebooting, just over and over and eventually it will find nothing, but the continual popups for Spymaxx keep going during and after the virus check. AVG is not able to connect to it's server to update.

Interestingly, I can use Google without any issues, however, if I try to click on a virus scanner I get a page saying my internet connection has died. If I try and check the latest football scores I have no problem.

Going through instructions for Combofix doesn't do anything. I double click on the program on my desktop and nothing happens.
I downloaded DSS from this laptop and used a USB to get it onto my computer. DSS seems to run fine, but Notepad is now broken and I can't view the results. Whenever notepad tries to open, it brings up a message saying that Notepad had to be closed by Windows.

Norton Antivirus 2006 can't install properly and cannot run, even when I unlock the taskbar and registry.
I'm happy to follow instructions regardless of their length or complexity.

Thanks very much,
Adam.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:03 PM

can you please clarify; was Norton on there before you put avg on there ?
unfortunately avg 8.0 is NOT getting a good reception for effectiveness nor user -friendliness ( unlike its predecessor avg7.5)

depending on which Antivirus program was on there first you will need to uninstall any others; you cannot have more than ONE installed antivirus program on any computer ; if you do they will wye for computer supremicy and ignore their actual JOB of hunting viruses

you should not even ATTEMPT to use combofix unless instructed to do so by a Trained malaware expert; to do so can render your computer forever unueable and unbootable

one assumes this is an XP machine ; did it have sp2 installed on it and all its windows updates?

so we know what you HAVE got on there can you please list the protection programs currently on there and when you last managed to fully update them and run full system scans; do you have any reports from any of them ?

to your knowledge does the computer have any P2P programs on it and if so do you know if they have they been utilised for file sharing( whcih is an INSTANT route for computer infections)

#3 theadz

theadz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

Hi Ruby,

No, I've had problems with Norton in the past being incompatible with my modem and ISP, so I actually had no virus software on my computer before I got this virus.

After I realised I had a virus, I then tried a number of times to install Norton Internet Security 2006. By using the Windows XP system restore tool (which took me back to 2 minutes after I got the virus), I did manage to get Norton installed, but it would not run. It had not installed properly. Eventually I removed Norton all together.

This virus was my own fault. I downloaded a photoshop tool using the file sharing torrent tool Azureus.
Once I downloaded the tool and run it, the virus infected my computer instantly.

Since the virus I have installed AVG Free, then removed it and purchased AVG 8.0
I've basically continually run AVG 8.0 since then. The only virus software on my Windows XP machine is AVG 8.0.
I will not try and run Combofix again until otherwise advised.

I've actually done a great many things to try and solve this, but I do believe I had uninstalled Norton and AVG Free before installing AVG 8.0. I'm happy to uninstall and reinstall if needbe.

Thanks,
Adam.

Edited by theadz, 01 June 2008 - 06:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users