Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Virus Win32/polycrypt?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 theadz

theadz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

Hi everyone,

Like I'm sure everyone feels, I've only found this forum when I've hit trouble and I'm very glad/impressed it exists.

I've had the SpyMaxx virus on my computer for 3 days and I'm really struggling to get rid of it, my computer is virtually crippled and I'm writing this on my girlfriend's work laptop.

The virus locks me out of the taskmanager and registry, but I've found little executables to help temporarily solve these problems.
The processes 20663.exe, spools.exe, spoolsv.exe and uTorrent.exe seem to pop up all the time.

I've purchased AVG 8.0 and installed it on my computer, but it always seems to find hidden drivers and whatnot, but not the actual viruses. I've run it a couple of times without rebooting, just over and over and eventually it will find nothing, but the continual popups for Spymaxx keep going during and after the virus check. AVG is not able to connect to it's server to update.

Interestingly, I can use Google without any issues, however, if I try to click on a virus scanner I get a page saying my internet connection has died. If I try and check the latest football scores I have no problem.

Going through instructions for Combofix doesn't do anything. I double click on the program on my desktop and nothing happens.
I downloaded DSS from this laptop and used a USB to get it onto my computer. DSS seems to run fine, but Notepad is now broken and I can't view the results. Whenever notepad tries to open, it brings up a message saying that Notepad had to be closed by Windows.

Norton Antivirus 2006 can't install properly and cannot run, even when I unlock the taskbar and registry.
I'm happy to follow instructions regardless of their length or complexity.

Thanks very much,
Adam.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:34 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I suggest that you post in either the Hijack This section of the website...or BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

The personnel at those webpages are very skilled in helping persons like you with malware issues.

Louis

#3 theadz

theadz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

Thank you very much for that Louis. I've created a new topic in that forum.

Regards,
Adam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users