Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Computer Reboots All By Itself.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 minihorse1960

minihorse1960

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

I have windows xp home edition and it is runnig on an hp Pavilion a705w. I have updated all the drivers from hp and intel. sorry was half asleep when I wrote this, my computer randomly shuts down as if it has been tuned off and restarts all by itself no error messages even whith the automatic restart shut off. it just happened a moment ago. It is as if someone clicked the start button,click trun off computer and clicked restart button, All by itself like magic. How do I stop this from happening. It is really anoying when I am in the middle of something and it just desides to shut down and restart all by it self. I have run some free anti virus programs and I am not sure that it is not a virus or a worm or trojan. can enyone help with this problem. The AVG says it is ok no problems, Live one care said I had two problems they could not fix, the second time I ran it 8 hours later also no problems. I have update all patches from game manufacture ( there really aren"t any I have the latest game Morrowind Game of the Year adition. I have tried all the tweek guids for the game. My syltem should be able to handle it. The game came out in 2003 and I got my computer in 2004. It has a cpu 2.39 GHz with 248 MB of ram. Celeron ® Processor, which I gather from Intel Is the worst chipset they made. I dont know the motherboard or all of the other components but the case opens easy enough and I have all of the manuals that came with the computer.

Edited by minihorse1960, 02 June 2008 - 01:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:58 PM

Hi minihorse1960.
I don't understand your promblem that clear. You said that "How do I stop this from happening" and you didn't explain stop what from happening. Does your computer shut down and resart randomly? I would first run some online scans and see what they find out.
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:29 PM

What game are you referring to?

Does your system meet all the requirements for playing said game without interruption?

How much RAM on the system? How much video RAM?

Louis

#4 Alan-LB

Alan-LB

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:50 AM

Possibly an error in the game - sounds like a memory adressing error. Try contacting the game manufacturer with your problem - also find out the system requirements for that game.

Alan.
There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Today is the Beta version of Tomorrow!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:06 AM

You can stop the restart with the method below, once the restarts are stopped you should get a error, please post exactly what it is back here.

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 minihorse1960

minihorse1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:06 PM

I turned off the automatic restart button on the advanced tab and I still do not get an error message. and the computer still shuts down totaly and restarts all by itself randomly. that is the problem. I will run the scans mentioned above an get back with the findings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users