Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Garbage Left Behind When Downloading Xp-3

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

I had no problem down loading and installing XP-3 but it left alot of stuff behind, (found by Ccleaner). The computer seam to be acting correctly. Is it okay to remove this stuff after about 20 hours of use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:27 PM

I would move all this stuff to a temp folder and leave it there for a couple of weeks. If, after that time you haven't experienced any problems then delete it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:29 PM

Hello Layback Bear.

I think CCleaner was detecting the "hotfix uninstallers".

Could you uncheck the box for "hotfix uninstallers" and run the analyse again to see if the same amount of stuff is being detected?

With Regards,
The Panda

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:03 PM

I will give it a try and get back.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

I just sent the whole thing to my documents. Most of them are KB and a number like this ARPCache\KB9434. There are also a lot HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache\KB896344]

#6 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:45 AM

Hello.

Yup, KB896344 and alike are updates, or in this case the uninstallers for them. See here. They are safe to remove. You many want to keep a backup if you are the safe type (though that kinda defies the point of removing them to free up space :thumbsup: ) .

With Regards,
The Panda

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

THANKS, ALL!!! I will keep them in my little backup just in case. Every thing is working just great. Once again thanks again.

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

Well it's been 3 weeks sense I put all that stuff away by them selfs and every thing is still running just fine. I'm posting this just to keep people informed. Than you for your help PropagandaPanda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users