Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Psu: Only 23 Of The 24 Atx Connector Holes Are Wired.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wavelength

Wavelength

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:23 PM

I'm building my first computer. I just opened the box of my new Corsair VX450W Power Supply, only to find that one of the wire/connectors is missing in the 24 pin ATX socket, making a total of 23 wired holes. I counted the pins on the mobo: 24--so I'm assuming there should be a corresponding number of wire/connectors in the PSU socket. Am I one wire short, or am I missing something--like "Don't worry about it. They all come that way"?

A second question is that the mobo has a 4 pin 12V connector, while the PSU has an 8 pin socket. The PSU instructions say to separate the extra 4-pin part of the socket, but not how. To make that a question: How do I do that without breaking it?

Thanks!

Edited by Wavelength, 01 June 2008 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

which pin is missing, generally the psu is correct, ive never seen one where they just missed something that is vital

here is a diagram:

Posted Image
(ignore the red part)

which one are you missing?
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#3 Wavelength

Wavelength
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

As you may have been able to tell, I'm new to this. It took me a little while to orient myself, but I finally got it. The empty hole in the connector on the PSU cable is #17, COM, the red one in the diagram. I can't see any dangling wires that slipped out of the connector.

#4 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:11 PM

it should be alright from my experience, not always are 24 pins connected,

the one your missing is just one of the 7 ground pins, have you had issues with this or are you just checking before you even connect it?

if it were mine id be fine with it and plug it in and see how it goes, its not something that isnt present elsewhere on the pins
You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#5 Wavelength

Wavelength
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:31 PM

No, I haven't installed it yet. I just didn't want to have any problems, so I went to the experts, and very glad I did. It helps me to know that the coms are grounds. I guess the com stands for "common," since they all return to the common ground.

This is my first time here, but I'm sure it won't be the last! Thanks for the help.

Edited by Wavelength, 01 June 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#6 78651214

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

I'm building my first computer. I just opened the box of my new Corsair VX450W Power Supply, only to find that one of the wire/connectors is missing in the 24 pin ATX socket, making a total of 23 wired holes. I counted the pins on the mobo: 24--so I'm assuming there should be a corresponding number of wire/connectors in the PSU socket. Am I one wire short, or am I missing something--like "Don't worry about it. They all come that way"?

A second question is that the mobo has a 4 pin 12V connector, while the PSU has an 8 pin socket. The PSU instructions say to separate the extra 4-pin part of the socket, but not how. To make that a question: How do I do that without breaking it?

Thanks!

Welcome here. I am new my self. :thumbsup: For the 2nd question, it must be clipped to each other? See closely?

#7 Wavelength

Wavelength
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for that. I have an admission to make. My second question was based on what the PSU instructions said, and not on what I actually saw. After I submitted to the forum, I untangled the mass of cables and found that the connectors in question were not connected to one another, after all. They are identical--4 holes, each with its own hold-down clip, and both coming out of the same sleeved cable group. Twins, but not of the Siamese variety. I need some sleep!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users