Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Drive;ide Pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 slo

slo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:56 PM

Hi, 1st post. Running Windows XP SP3. I bought a new drive for this Dell Dimension 3000. It is a DVD writer. When I popped the cover ( about a month after purchase ), no sata ports, just IDE plugs. Is there a way I can make this work. Is there some type of transition cable/port; do I need a board with Sata plug? I know I should have looked BEFORE buying. Currently, I just know enough to be dangerous. Can't afford alot of parts I can't use. Please excuse any impropriety in the 1st few postings, as I am new to this process. In advance, I appreciate any replies.

Edited by slo, 01 June 2008 - 01:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 78651214

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:10 PM

Hmm... better check what it says next time :-). You can make it work by buying a SATA PCI Card if your Motherboard doesn't have a SATA port OR you can get a SATA - USB adapter, and an adapter for SATA Drive's power too since the normal powering cable won't work, then you can connect it through USB.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

Yes there is Newegg.com sells them for around 12 bucks plus shipping. Its a internal PCI SATA controller. make sure to get one with the internal connections since your burner will be inside the case.

Edit: :thumbsup: To Bleeping Computer

Edited by Sneakycyber, 01 June 2008 - 01:11 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 slo

slo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:18 PM

Thanks ya'll. I didn't mean to put that under external hardware--it is internal. For clarity: if I get the adapter, then I won't need the PCI card? Is that correct? And BTW, I got this drive from new egg. Thanks again...

#5 78651214

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

Yes, if you get the adapter, then you won't require the PCI Card. It depends on you, what you want to do. I mean I had an internal IDE DVD-Writer once set up through IDE-USB adapter! It's cable was long enough so I routed it out the back of the casing and into the motherboard. Did not use it for very long that way but it worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users