Hi again ,Do you also have Norton running?
We need to run the Cleaning Part now and also your Java is outdated.Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.
Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
- Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
- Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 6...allows end-users to run Java applications".
- Click the "Download" button to the right.
- Select your Platform: "Windows".
- Select your Language: "Multi-language".
- Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
- Click Continue and the page will refresh.
- Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
- Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
- Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
- Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
- Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
- Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
- Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
Cleaning the Smitfraud
You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a Notepad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.
Please reboot your computer in Safe Mode
by doing the following :
- Restart your computer
- After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
- Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
- Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
- Choose your usual account.
Once in Safe Mode, double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #2 - Clean
by typing 2
and press "Enter
" to delete infected files.
You will be prompted : "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry ?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y
and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.
The tool will now check if wininet.dll
is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y
and press "Enter".
The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart anyway into normal Windows. A text file will appear onscreen, with results from the cleaning process; please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.
The report can also be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txtWarning : running option #2 on a non infected computer will remove your Desktop background
Edited by boopme, 03 June 2008 - 02:25 PM.